2-channel pre-amp and dedicated processor?

My small home does not allow me to keep my 2-channel analog system physically separate from "HT" digital needs. So, I want your opinion on a configuration:

use existing 2-channel system (separate pre-amp and amp)for analog sources, but connect the pre-amp's tape or aux to a surround sound processor, This will be for the left and right fronts for HT. From the processor, connect to a 3-channel amp for the left & right rears and center: for HT.

2 issues:

1. I have an excellent Class A 1980s pre-amp with a phono stage, but without unity gain or pass-through. I don't know if the tape or aux loop will work in the way I want it to

2. is there a dedicated surround processor out there? I don't need a pre-amp built in (if issue #1 becomes a non-issue)

I think my configuration idea will work, but I need your advice, and suggestions for a processor.

Thanks

J.
jpaik
If you would like to use your 1980's pre in your system you can. You will only need to insert it between your pre-pro and your front channel amp. L+R pre-out from prepro (or receiver) will connect to aux or another input on your two channel pre-amp. For hometheater use, you would need to set the volume control on the two channel pre to the equivalent of pass through mode (unity gain), this is usually 12:00 O'clock. This is the position you will need to return the volume control to each time you watch a movie as this is the point you will have set over-all volume balance from in the pre-pro setup of all channels. Of course all two channel source will only connect to your two channel pre-amp.

Dave
In a stand-alone processor the 'fronts-out' goes to your aux input. This is actually just 'piggy-backing' the processors 'fronts-out' back to your 2ch. pre.(If this input allows for playing a cd it is just fine.)
Thanks to everyone! I know this is an issue discussed on the forum and trust me I have done searches for threads on it.

Jdodmead: I think I understand what you are saying. I want the surround processor to just decode the digital signals, provide no ampification, and not be a replacement for a pre-amp. In DVD playback, the '80s pre-amp will "talk" to the surround processor and pass the "results" to the amp driving the front left and right speakers.

Sogood51: I think we are agreeing on the config. I just don't know if the two-channel pre will actually work in the "unity gain" -- hope so. One other question: if I'm in a DVD playback situation, and need volume controlled by the the surround processor, can I:

-buy a really inexpensive "a/v receiver"?
-not use any of its amp. functions (since I will have a separate 3-channel amp for L&R rears, and center)?
- just use it for its decoding ability?

Thanks to all of you for your patience, as I absorb this. My config, if it works, will allow me to have the best of analog and digital, and keep the digital side turned off when I'm just listening to 2-channel audio.

J.
Jpaik- The preamp's volume control does NOT have to be set to the unity gain position. It has to be set (each time your using the input from your HT processor) to the SAME position it was set to when you "balanced" your five HT channels during initial setup. PS- Dump the center channel; it's not needed. Good luck.
jpaik

Unity gain is only the point were the volume control is neutral..it does not have to be at 12 O'clock but may be on most pre's. You can really set the volume control at any point. You can use a cheap receiver as pre-pro but you will need pre-outs for all channels..Outlaw audio comes to mind but there are many.

Dave