HT Set -up for $2K????

I need some help in setting up a HT for $2K for a good frined. I am completely lost with this. He will need speakers, amp, preamp, etc. This would not include the TV but he is just looking for a inexpensive set-up for the family.

Thanks
bigkidz
Your friend has lots of options really. I bought a friend some Paradigms as a birthday gift to get her started on a HT system. I think I got a pair of Titans and a CC-170, found them used (demos) for about $180 each. Add some of their dipolar surrounds and a sub and you've got a nice system for about $1000. That leaves you another $1000 for a receiver and cables.

You could also try Energy or Mirage for their packages.
I`d spend $1000.00 on speakers, Axiom for example, check out their website and choose setup that you need. Then for $300.00-400.00 I`d get Philips Q50 DVD player, outstanding video quality, I think everyone agrees with me on this one. And with $600.00-700.00 left it`s almost impossible to find good separates , so I`d look for a reciever. In this price range you can find NAD ( T751), Rotel (RSX-972), Integra (DTR-5.3 and DTR-6) or Marantz (SR-5200 and 6200) . Compare options and features and make your choise. Good luck. I had personal expirience with Philips player and Axiom speakers and can tell you that for the money they are great. Not a big fan of recievers though .
Other speakers to look at in this price range include Aperion, Ascend Acoustics, Axiom, NHT, Norh, Rockets by Onix, Totem Dreamcatchers, and a few others. Most of these companies are internet direct. Also, add the internet direct Outlaw 1050 to receivers to be considered. Go with Rat shack gold or AR's basic interconnected approx $20 each. I also see lot of good comments for the Sony DVD that also plays SACDs thats sells for about $250.