The issue of lowballing... What does that mean?

I LOVE Audiogon. I have purchased and sold many items here and it is a wonderful resource for audio nuts of every variety. Big solid state, tubes, analog, vinyl? Sure it all goes.

So I see posts that are make offer but the seller says "lowballers" will be ignored, vilified, cursed and cussed. So why have a make offer sale? Something is worth what someone is willing to pay for it. It doesn't matter what you paid for it, or how much you love it. And why be upset? Declining requires one mouse click. Countering maybe five or six clicks or keystrokes. Just curious as this is a commerce site.

I have received offers that seemed really low to me, but I am still happy to have interest and I always counter offer. I recently sold a Clearaudio TT for a lot less than I thought it was worth. But all the offers were low and I had to rethink my view. It ultimately sold as a real bargin but I'm happy and so is the buyer.

Your thoughts?
128x128superbike
Orelayer, compared to you I am a Genius. And also have the means not to ever be a lowballer. Stand up for winners, not losers. How often have you offered a seller more than the buy it now price when you felt they were not asking enough? I guess there will always be a few lowball losers on here, but there are a lot more people that know how to get a good deal without lowballing.
Polk432,
Your analogy regarding gas etc is way off base. Audiogon is not a retail store or any type of store for that matter. It is a forum to connect buyers and sellers "There are plenty of buyers that understand the difference between buy it now, auction, and make offer". Who is debating that?
"Find a complaint on here or ebay as far as feedback goes from a buyer or a seller". Not sure what that has to do with anything regarding this subject...? Quite frankly you really don't have many transaction on this site
I do have 130 transactions on ebay. Agon is not a retail store or a store for lowballers either. My point is that they have to try to screw someone over to get something, and to me that makes them bums. I you want to be a lowballer, or support lowballers,or try to cheat someone that's your business, just keep moving and look elseware if it's something I'm selling. Not finding any complaints on here or ebay means that I know how to deal fairly with good people and not let a lowballer take advantage of me. Happy bidding.
Zydo,
I am in total agreement with your post. The problem arises when you try to define a lowball offer. Take Polk432 for example, to him making an offer of 8-10% less than asking price is "lowballing" My offers usually start at 25-30% less than asking price and work up from there. I consider it the art of negotiating.