SME V : what to expect ?

Hi !

I've had many turntables , also "audiophile" ones.
Armwise I have some SME3009 which is musical. I had a Linn LP12 with Ekos II etc... sold it it didn't sound good...

I can buy a SME V new now for relatively low $$$.

Any SME V owners here who want to share their experience with me ?

greetz from Europe
Marc
a011996
The SME V is simply a no-nonsense Product. A good choice when someone is
not an analog fanatic and wants something done right (from the construction).
Sonically it has a good soundstage (but only in the depth, not in the height),
good detail and in a way, you need some knowledge for matching cartridges.
The Shure cart. is a good match for the 3009 (that Arm is hugely overrated,
specially in combination with the MC carts we normally use).
Try to find someone who can rewire that Arm with a good cable, when you
can't, go for the US SME IV.Vi, I think, that one has the best cable from all
inside.
Hi Don C55 - the Shure is a decent cartridge with the Jico stylus. I play around with it for reasons of nostalgia. The point I was making is that the Shure's light tracking force and high cantilever compliance are difficult for some modern arms to handle. The SME arms handle not only the Shure, but also modern moving coils with high(er) tracking forces and low cantilever compliance. As for its ancient design, SME has made improvements in the arms over the years - for example, bearings - (if you're buying used it's worth emailing the serial number to SME to find out what changes have been made since date of manufacture). I don't really think you should dismiss an arm designed at the zenith of vinyl just because of its age. There are many highly sought after arms from that era because they are simply excellent, well executed designs.
Actually, I had an SME V on a Sota which wasn't good. The arm is way too heavy which stretched the springs...and the lead shot couldn't easily balance the suspension. After working very hard I got it to work,however it wasn't nearly right. I think lifeless would be a good description of the sound as told by Donc55