The best speaker you ever heard?

In my opinion, the speaker is by far the most important part of the audio system. After all, it is the only part you hear. OK, the other stuff really matters a lot, but without a great speaker... No go.

I am a bit 'speaker-obsessed' I guess, and now I am wondering: What are the best speakers you have ever heard, and what made them the best?
njonker
Went to listen in DC this week to a bunch of new stuff for me. Some I've heard in the past and others....not at all. Quick hits:
Proac D30R is one of the first ribbons I've heard done correctly. What a sweet sounding and dynamic speaker. It is a really nice sounding speakers and for my ear was much nicer than the Harbeths that many are touting on the boards and in reviews. I also liked the Audio Note speakers a ton. As basic as you can get, but wow were they good. They were being run by an AN single ended amp and AN preamp. It was digital too, but it did everything right. First time I've heard single ended done that well and I was shocked. Very dynamic and musical. The detail was there too and it was against the more expensive Harbeths and it wasn't a race. The Proacs were run by tube gear too and on the imported Ayre turntable, new Ortifon arm/MC cart.
Heard the Quattro CT's in a different room and system than I usually hear them in and they shined too. They really are that special. I heard them with a Rega 6/Rega upgraded cart as well as the Linn TT. The Linn was better for pace and rhythm, but it's a bitch to set up and keep set up. most of the TT guys I speak with don't like the suspended tables much. They feel they are a pain. The digital stuff I've been hearing is good, but the second you put the TT in the systems you just relax and listen. Strange, but so true. I do like the music server idea though as it's just a one box easy solution, but right now digital is the last thing on my mind as they need to refine it and figure out what direction they will go for the next 10 years. Hi rez does sound awfully good in a great system, but I'm hoping that soon there will be a simple streaming site where you pay your 10 a month and have nearly any song you want in hi res.

Sorry to go on about the components, but they make as big a difference in what the speakers sound like. So far I feel that the best speakers I'm hearing these days are all different sounding and need different systems. Most folks aren't able to go more than say 15k for speakers so I'll twist the subject of best to best for the money:
Vandersteen Treo's
Vandersteen Quatro's
Proac D series are all great speakers, but the D 30R is their best under 8k I think it is
Audio Note (must match with other AN components like the Otto integrated with phono)

The Spendor, Harbeths and many others that folks are raving about are excellent speakers also. Everyone's ear is so different, but for a cottage industry there are so many wonderful choices out there. I've run into many speakers that I couldn't listen to for more than a song without my ears hurting. Too many of the speakers that are touted as detailed and revealing, just sound horrid to my and that's even with great tube gear with analog. JMHO
Koss model 1A electrostatic speakers, tri-amped with all tube electronics was very spiffy. Heard them at paragon of sound way back when.
I know it's completely unrealistic for me to ever own but it was the best pair of speakers I've ever heard.