Good turntable needed, need recomendations.

I am not a vinyl guy but want to become one I have a pair of Vandersteen Sevens coming in and want a source to match. With speaking with my dealer he recommended a Basis turntable. Everything I read states they are good and the vacuum system is the way to go. This puts me into a 20K table though. I am thinking that is just too much money for what I see there.

My problem also is that although the basis tables look nice they all looks like a 3K table, unless you go to the insane models.

So I really think 15K on the top end is my budget I rather be around 10k. But really want something I will like to look at as well.

Part of my issue is being an amateur machinist and a wood worker a piece of cnc plexi glass for thousands of dollars just doesn’t excite me.

Any recommendations, or is the Basis the way to go, thanks in advance for you input.
programmergeek
I'm not into recommending decorations for HT rooms. If you want to have the pleasure of seriously listening to an excellent sounding table that practically has no noise floor, let me know. Otherwise, call a decorator.
You can get a Platine Verdier with arm and cart for your indicated budget (new) or buy a used one and then an arm and cart of your choice.

These TTs always generate a lot of interest and are impressive to look at (statically and operating), but not in a 'jewelry' type way, as you mention.

Plus you'll have something that is quite rare compared to many other of the top brands.
FWIW, I totally get and agree that appearance should be a factor when you are likely to spend that kind of money. It's not one of my primary considerations, but I think it is a valid consideration.

I have come to really dig the retro look and feel of all of my gear. As a result, I have to admit that I am considering appearance as a factor for my tt selection. It's kind of like building an A-frame Cabin right in the middle of a subdivision of brick ranch houses. No one is ultimately going to be happy about it. So, if you like cabins, great. If you like, brick ranches, great. Probably makes more sense, though to have some continuity to the system philosophy.

After all, it's the OP's money, he should be happy with his purchase. A dissatisfied purchaser doesn't do any good for anyone involved in this hobby. As much as many here may be unwilling to admit, the "new toy" or "jewelry" aspect of this hobby is a very real component of what gets and/or keeps people interested.

Just my humble opinion.

PMB
Definitely buy new from a local dealer - the setup help will be valuable.

Honestly, Basis is a great recommendation. Ultimately they are a very solid product for the price, very quality engineering. I'm not as familiar with the Vector arm, but I'm sure it is good. Otherwise a Tri Planar or SME 4 or 5 would do fine. The Rhea is a very good phono, you should be all set there.

Ignore the condescending posts. You can get an OK table for $3k, just like you can get an OK pair of speakers for 3k. Tables get better as you spend more just like anything else.

Getting whatever Basis you can afford is good advice. The vacuum is not necessary IMHO, so at this stage I wouldn't recommend spending a whole lot more to get it.