Reel to Reel decks

Is anyone out there using reel to reels anymore? I remember at one time(30 years ago), they were probably some of the best analog reproduction equipment out there. Of course, it doesn't matter much if you can't buy good prerecorded tapes. I've googled prerecorded tapes, but haven't found much out there. Anyone have a good source? Also, can anyone recommend a good deck?
handymann
I never play my most valuable records after I made a recording. I don't use RTR yet, I use Nakamichi deck. If I ruin those records by accident they will be almost impossible or very expensive to replace, or both. Good for me that I don't have many of those.
If the best sound quality is the primary objective, then I agree you should keep the recording purely analog throughout the recording/manufacturing process. It will sound better. However, if the objective is best quality music, then keeping it pure can actually limit the artistic flexibility of the musician/engineer/producer. I think most people favor flexibility over purity and are only trying to achieve good to very good, not great, quality sound.
However, if the objective is best quality music, then keeping it pure can actually limit the artistic flexibility of the musician/engineer/producer.

I would only suggest that what would appear obvious about digital editing and endless effects and plugins.. this can and actually in most cases takes the music away from the musician themselves and puts it into the digital plethora of endless possibilities which can ultimately hinder the music.

Brian Eno once said "it is not about having more options, it is about having more USEFUL options"

The temptation to over produce is VERY REAL.. and in my opinion hinders the process of creating truly great music which is really best when it is actually being performed by the artists.

Dylan didn't need a lot of studio trickery, and if you love more complex music.. bands like YES and early Genesis just simply had great musicians that where also very creative in the studio environment. But sometimes less is more.. and striving for a better take can actually produce a more heartfelt track than using pitch shifters, and quantizing drum tracks, fixing the mix in protools and so forth.

I suggest that the pressure of having to perform on your instrument properly can lead to better recordings or even great ones.

For us that know... most records these days are created in a very dishonest way. Before the digital age.. I think recordings were much more honest.. and that ultimately transmits to the listener whether they consciously know the recording process or not.

Digital effects can't help but sound digital.
Samples sound like samples and plugins sound like plugins.
Otari two track. Great pro deck easy to find used and, I believe, they still make it. Yes Ebay is a great start, but consider antique stores and estate sales. The rca stereo classical tapes are amazing. That would be where I would put my money. Liberty records put out some killer music by Martin Denny and Arthur Lymann. You might get lucky and find some Julie London. Happyhunting!
I have a dream, it's called EE tape. I still have some, but it's mixed in with the rest of the reels, and I have a bunch. There's no way to tell EE tape by looking at it, I can only tell it's EE when I hear it. Dummy that I am, I forget to put a big EE sign on the box.

I wonder if all the reel owners requested EE tape, would they make us a batch. You ain't heard nothing, until you hear a recording made on EE tape. Cheapskate that I was, I bought it to record at a slower speed, and get the same results as a higher speed with regular tape.