New Aluminum Platter from VPI

Has anyone tried the new VPI Scout II with aluminum platter? How does the new aluminum platter compare with the original VPI acrylic platter?

Is this platter compatible with the VPI Periphery Ring Clamp?

Can this new aluminum platter be used on the VPI Scoutmaster?
agiaccio
Over the past ten year's, VPI's move to acrylic and now aluminum is puzzling. I have heard the acrylic's. The TNT Mark IV's seem to provide the best sound, often better then the Super Platter. The acrylic's that I have heard were terrible. If you want to try the aluminum, which does take the p-ring, have VPI grant you a return at full price paid, less shipping. Try it would be the only way to really tell. It must sound better in your rig, otherwise it does not make sense. I am thinking of changing my Aries but they will not give a return accomodation so I will sit it out until then.
On the new CORRECTED VPI price sheet I just received the T-1014 Scout 2 Aluminum plater is $800. No mention of trade in but it may be the same. I too am somewhat curious about the platters. I was a dealer previously and only sold my very early TNT last fall. It did not overlap with my current stock, an Aries with Super Platter and a Scout and Scoutmaster with acrylic platters. I am quite happy with the sound of all of them, getting a Classic when I sell either the Scout or Scoutmaster. Quite puzzled about the Classic being the best VPI ever according to some quotes. If this is true then what about detached motors being better and all the other changes since the HW 19? What about rim drive, which is , apparently, now available for the Aries? Just what is the actual progression of sound quality within the line? I ask Harry about this some time ago and he said things were in flux. Apparently they still are.
".... the Classic being the best VPI ever according to some quotes."

Those quotes you refer to were from the original VPI ad copy, which I believe has since been modified. I've asked the same questions myself:

*mounted motor vs. SAMA

*belt drive vs. rim drive

*wood plinth vs. acrylic/metal plinth

*aluminum platter vs. acrylic platter

*etc.

Even more oddly, virtually every build 'quality' on the 'Classic' was previously seen as a negative for previous decks, and extra-priced options were marketed and sold to 'upgrade'! Are we supposed to believe that everything goes both ways?

To be frank, I think the 'Classic' is just HW and VPI, again, jumping on the newest and latest from the blogs. Like the 'rim drive'. Their marketing philosophy seems to be to offer something for everyone, which is fine, but it shows that there is no company-wide (and owner) determination as to which tt in their line really sounds best.

As a VPI owner, I wish they'd replace that crappy, coggy Hurst motor and make available a tape-drive option. I've tried my own manifestation of it with a custom pulley, and the cogging transmits (very) audibly to the platter. Because of that, there's no way I'd even consider a 'rim drive'.

BTW, good to see a dealer at least curious about the goings-ons at VPI.
All I can say is, I'm glad I held onto my Aries 1. VPI has been more than a little schizophrenic lately. The 300 RPM motor was an upgrade, but its back to the 600 RPM motor for the Classic. Rim drive vs. belt drive; stand-alone motor vs. fixed motor; heavy platters to acrylic platters to all aluminum platters. I saved a lot of money by not upgrading.