Phono stage hiss from BOTH SS and Tube Normal?

I have been trying different phono stages and have discovered that I am getting hiss from both Solid State phono stages and Tube phono stages. If I turn my main pre-amp near 12:00 position I can hear hiss that gets much worse as I approach full volume. All of my digital gear is dead quiet when I conduct the same test.

I currently own a Pro-Ject audio Tube Box II with electro-harmonix tubes. I am currently trying an Ayre Acoustics P-5Xe and notice a similar amount of hiss! Is this normal for phono stages. I have tried different cables and different inputs on my pre-amp all with the same results. Even, with the TT disconnected I can still here the hiss at the 12:00 position.

Musically, the both sound great, I am just wondering why I am getting hiss especially from the SS phono stage. This hiss is faintly audible from my listening position while listening to classical recordings with low recording levels. Is this normal, or is there something wrong with my system.

Thanks for any advice or info!
rick_hilton
Anything that can amplify will also have a noise artifact.

The fact that you get noise when you turn the volume all the way up is not significant unless you also play the system at that volume setting.
Dear Rick: Somewhere the cartridge/cables are " taking " that hiss and even the own cartridge could generate if is out of builder specs ( a faulty one ).

It is very difficult to fix a hiss ( is more easy a " hum ", that is difficult too. ) because could comes from everywhere. I can't think that this comes from the phono stage because you experience it with two different phono stages.

What if you change the cable " orientation "/position or even the TT position. Do you already try with other cartridges that your Glider? with other tonearm cables ( this is important too. )? even inverting ( with a sheater-plug ) the power cables connection .
I think that is worth to try it to have a better idea of what is happening " there " because that hiss could come directly from the TT, we can't know it for sure: any of your system devices can " help " to that trouble, even could be static.
Now, I'm assuming that your system is right on the overall set-up with non-parallel near signal and power cords, everything that needs is grounded at one and only one point, etc, etc.

When do you start/begin to have this trouble? was suddenly? or you change something.

Regards and enjoy the music.
Raul.
Hi
I am running a 47Lab (Miyabi) Phonocube, solid state "with a quirk", into Pass gain stages. No hiss or other spuriae. Nice sound too, from Carly to Floyd. Yow!
cheers apo