Are Dust Covers a MUST

need some opinions on weather or not to keep the dust cover on my mmf5 TT?

pro and cons?

Thank you
128x128thegoldenear
Post removed 
It keeps the kids and the cats away from my Allaerts cart!

I have a large removable dust cover for my Platine Verdier. Great investment for 300 bucks (GBP200). It keeps my kids, our 5 cats and more importantly our cleaner away from my valuable Allaerts cartridge.

Charlie
Chasmal et al.:
We mounted a B&K accelerometer on the plinth and/or platter and compare vibration with and without the dust cover while playing different frequencies through the system.
Vibration is much more with the dust cover on. How it translates into better sound depends on your system and your ear. If the listener cannot tell the difference then it should not matter to him/her.
I cannot see how a cover can "block" vibration. Being a hard material, it not only transmits the vibration but also resonates at its own frequency as a result. That should add to the overall vibration, not reduce it.
A cover can block vibration because it acts like a fence (think Faraday cage but for airborne radiation instead of electromagnetic) between the excitement in the surrounding air and the tonearm. Consider, can the neighbors hear your rig better with the window open or closed? The chassis itself is necessarily exposed to the environment and hence the damped plinth. To stretch the idea even further the cover typically damped by felt pads above the chassis may act to soften chassis induced vibration similar in effect to the mass loading of component cases.
Faraday cage?1?! Not even close to a good analogy. Listen to Vu, he knows what he's talking about.