Steam cleaning records 2

Continuation of large thread.
thommas
I just tried my Perfection again. If I fill it up all the way, I get enough for a full application (before running out of steam and having to reheat).

Sometimes on the 2nd applications (about 20-30 seconds later) I can run out though.

I do have the lid on tight - otherwise steam escapes and it's obvious.

Here's what I do: place the nozzle 4 inches from outside edge. Start steaming. After full revolution, move 1" towards spindle & repeat. Four positions covers the record.

Now three other things I'm noticing:

1) I can't help but warp every LP that's less than 180g (noticible jump of needle during playback)

2) There are settings on the steamer where the nozzle attaches, eg. "I", "II" etc. Does this setting matter?

3) I can't seem to clean out blotches on the LP - stuff that looks like, I dunno, mildew or discolorations. Is that to be expected?

Thanks guys
Madfloyd : I believe that the exception to using steam only are dirty LPs , I believe your description qualifies.

When I clean dirty LPs , I use steam, add a fluid record cleaner , lightly scrubb w/ brush and steam rinse, then dry (by air or micro cloth). Some steam posters report excellent results with a liquid rinse then drying. If any consensus exists its that : Rinses are OK to V. Good To Excellent!

Perhaps (by technique) or dumb luck but I haven't yet warped any LP thru cleaning. Perhaps, that is also because I inspect every LP using downward light and angeling the over-head light to disclose any surface irregularites before I buy. I've been doing that for so long that in a glance I discount 50-90% of what I suspect are good buys... Naa, just dumb luck.
crem,

distilled or 'super water' as you've mentioned is a search i have to do now where i live. there are a few manufacturers i have found online through business directories. going around might take a while depending on work load. am aiming to get triple distilled or the purest i can source from my city or another one.
Stevieboy , A potential solution. Locate the cleanest/freshest water ,available , gently boil for 2-5 minutes , then cool. Using a funnel pour the cooled water into a clean glass container with a threaded lid. Store in a cool place. With an eye dropper, splash 2 or 3 drops of clear bleach into the water,give a quick shake. The bleach is to retard bacteria growth & will not affect steam cleaning (NMT 3 drops per Imperial Gallon).

This method passed to me by an audiophile mentor for record rinsing. I think it an acceptable subtitute until other water options are sourced. All the best.
crem you're full of surprises! have noted that in case i cant get some distilled water. thanks once again!