Measure My Turntable Speed

I've been told that a very accurate way to measure the speed of a turntable is by using a test meter set to khz, placing the positive terminal into one of the outputs of the phono stage (or tape output), the other to the ground and then play a 1000hz test track of our a good quality test record... If the table speed is good, the reading should be very close to 1khz...

Ever tried this one?
stickman451
I haven't read the whole thread, but I could never get my speed set on my Bix with the KAB unit.

I sold my KAB strobe and bought the Digistrobo which claims my system is locked in perfectly and stays locked in rather tightly over time.

I wonder if the KAB strobe is much more sensitive/accurate or if it is too accurate; I could never dial in a stable speed with it...it was like trying to balance an egg on a razor when setting the speed.

???

DC
Forgot to mention, with the KAB, the needle was not in the groove, but with the Digistrobo it is (as you know).

Maybe that was the ticket. I got the Digistrobo on sale for a little over $100 and being able to check speed during playback has proven useful, and fruitful apparently.

DC
The 'Digistrobo' looks alarmingly similar to laser tachs available on the ebay for a lot less than 150.00, such as this one http://cgi.ebay.com/Non-Contact-Digital-Photo-Laser-Tachometer-RPM-Rotation_W0QQitemZ160352588438QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMeters_Testers_Probes?hash=item2555c25296&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14 and many, many more.

After seeing the audiophile version in a catalog, I bought one of the ebay iterations to try-and it does seem to work as advertised-at least, it's accurate compared to my strobe disc. In fact, I made a little stand for it and it has a permanent spot on my tt plinth, ready at a moments notice to check stylus-in-place speed.

I've got a feeling-okay, I know- that this is just another case of audiophile product re-labeling, with the commensurate 6x price bump. Just like most electronic VTF scales.
I do have the KAB Strobe and disc. I am not 100% confident on its accuracy. I used Feickert's Adjust Pro + and his test record. When Adjust tells me I am dead on, KAB says otherwise by a significant amount.

I ended up using a Fluke DMM and measured the 3150hz tone on the Adjust test record after communicating with Feickert. He seems very confident on the accuracy of his test tone frequency.
The KAB strobe disc is worth every penny. People who discourage that are those never had a speed accurate turntable. Get it.