best "entry level" audiophile TT?

I'm looking to replace the relatively crappy turntabel I'm using right now. Everyone says Rega (p3 or p2?). I've also been impressed with the Pro-Ject RM-5, Dual CS 455 Gold, and the Music Hall MMF-5 turntables. Any thoughts? any additions to the list? What are key issues / questions to be addressed in finding the best turntable for me?
metalsymph
Seems like the cartridge has a lot to do with the sonic quality of any TT so how can some of you categorically state one TT is better than the other unless the same cart was used for comparison?
Zen gardens ...
Flyingred, thanks for the cheap answer to isolation. Maybe I can make a zen garden out of my zen music. anyone else tried this?
This drove the poor boys at Redrock Audio nuts at my very first ever audio show in 2001 ... the sandbox top plate wasn't ready and there was a bit of visible sand.

There we were ... raking this little Zen garden.

-----

Here's a quick drawing for a DIY sandbox:
http://www.galibierdesign.com/images/zz_sandbox.pdf.

If you lose this post, you can always link to it from my FAQs page.

This whole topic of stands is becoming deserving of a dedicated section. If I ever get around to making this update (don't worry ... after the Serac becomes real), I'll point to it from the FAQs page.

Also, I need to update the FAQs page with an additional link.

I am receiving excellent reports from a very trusted source on this shelf:
http://www.adonacorporation.com/platform.html

-----

There's some good advice in this thread on the 1200. You can do wonders for this 'table. As an aside, I've had some good success with the Duals too.

Cheers,
Thom @ Galibier
Paul, yes I have heard better than the SL-150/L75 and bought a Galibier. I worked my way through Nottingham Audio, Origin Live, SME, dps, Teres, Michell, Rega, Kuzma plus more (I previously owned Thorens and Linns) before I hit on the Galibier and was completely smitten.

I've enjoyed the Teres Certus, the Walker and the Morsiani.

I hadn't realized it would be so tough - in my experience rubber belt tables don't do good (enough for me) speed stability and leading edge transients as well as the idlers, direct drives and mylar belt drives. Once you've lost some fidelity at the source you can never get it back.

Rotarius, I have spent the last few years perming cart/arm/table combinations to understand the influence of each component and how they interact. As an aside, a table contributes isolation and speed stability/lack of attack - both fairly easy to identify and diagnose. I would also challenge your assertion about cartridges - if you work on VTA/VTF/azimuty and impedance/capacitance matching then the difference between carts becomes quite subtle.

IMO, too many people upgrade too frequently to "improve" their system when a little work with the variables would deliver the same effect for zero outlay. Too few dealers know how to set up equipment properly - however it might not be in their interests if it lost them sales! :)
Hi Flyingred. I too have a peeve with speed stability, but my issue is with DC motors. I have yet to hear a DC motored TT that has speed stability. I have listened to tracks were I could tell the TT was drifting, but the salesman/owner were blissfully unaware.

Psychic, I come from a modest background, but in spite of that I do not see the need to exaggerate. I also do not have the phobia that "the man" is out to rip me off.

Regards
Paul