New Teres Direct Drive Motor Available as Option

Hi Folks:
It looks like Teres is now offering a direct drive motor as an option on their regualar tables. As a Teres 255 owner I'm contemplating the upgrade. Has anyone tried the new motor on there existing/old Teres, and does it seem like the upgrade is worth it? Here's a link to the new product:
http://www.teresaudio.com/verus-motor.html

Cheers,
John.
128x128outlier
I'd like to get back to the original topic. Since there are no "Primate Reports" to read I guess I'll play along.

I'm sorry. I can't any of this "investment" argument seriously at all! C'mon, we're talking about depreciable consumer goods here! There's no investment. You'd better be spending play money on this stuff or you're going to be in the soup lines later in life. I can just see me taking this idea to my investment dudes. "Hey, guys! I've got this great idea! Audio equipment!" I'm sure I could still go on with my great idea even after they all tell me to take my business elsewhere.

It's o.k., Banker Boy. I'm sure your Oracle is a fine 'table.

Oh! And since we're waggling packages at each other, every time you use the internet, pick up a phone, turn on your t.v., your helping fund my toys. Thanks, Banker Boy!
Pauly,

Kudos to the 3 Ds and Cello,

"Taking a chance," might be considered to be a badge of honor, unless you have the hours, years, and dollars, AND WILL, to make a mistake by trying something that might make a difference. If proven performance is what you're looking for , check out the Audiogon listings for " The best of everything," on the market yesterday, you can't beat the price.-----The price is BANKABLE.

I spoke with Chris at Teres, thanks Larry, regarding TT isolation and the conversation was beneficial. True gentleman in the audio industry will impart their knowledge without a ulterior motive-- financial.

I've been reading the Icons of Audiogon for a few years and finally decided to couple their TT knowledge and experience with my DIY gene. I've spent enough building a TT, that should be up and running in a month or two, that would have enabled me to purchase a Walker, or the Continuum, the cheap model!!. When it's done, I'll love the way it sounds, after all , half of enjoying music is the mood you're in when the stylus drops. When you couple technology with musical passion, you win, regardless of the price you've paid for the gear.

Being a small business owner in Virginia, with only one competitor 40 times my size, on the California - Mexico border, I realize that value and service is what it takes to survive.

If you rely on, and buy, the tried and true engineering of yesterday, Just buy USED.

Ken
This discussion of business/marketing/sales has been truly, um, fascinating, but still no replies to what the 'Verus' option will do the finish of the Teres wood platter. I won't fully repeat my post, but any thoughts and or concerns? Will new owners be applying 'friction' tape to the platter to protect it? Can no one hear my cries of pain and anguish?
Johnbrown,

Sorry your very interesting question got lost in the (fascinating) noise floor of that other discussion.

Cocobolo is pretty durable of course. I imagine the O-ring will wear about 100 X faster. I'm certainly not worried about any short term wear or damage during listening tests.

Still, it's a valid question. Even if the wood doesn't wear, any material worn off the O-ring could get deposited in the grain and leave a permanent ring.

How about a strip of metal? A flat black finish would virtually disappear against the cocobolo background. Might even look nice...
Thanks Doug-

As I said in the first post, knowing the Teres quest for quality, I assume a platter designed for an outboard drive would have a ring of alumininum/pvc/or etc because, at the very least, the drive will take the finish off of the wood. And, eventually, work into the wood itself

I realize this has nothing to do with sonics, but the Teres models are sold not only on their musical merits, but also on their gorgeous looks, so I'm wondering if owners looking to upgrade have any reservations.

Believe me, not trying to rain on a parade-just curious, because if (when) I own a Teres, I want it to look 'as new' for as long as possible.