Building high-end 'tables cheap at Home Despot II

“For those who want the moon but can't afford it or those who can afford it but like to have fun and work with their hands, I'm willing to give out a recipe for a true high-end 'table which is easy to do, and fun to make as sky's the limit on design/creativity! The cost of materials, including 'table, is roughly $200 (depending, more or less), and add to that a Rega tonearm. The results are astonishing. I'll even tell/show you how to make chipboard look like marble and fool and impress all your friends. If there's interest I'll get on with this project, if not, I'll just continue making them in my basement. The next one I make will have a Corian top and have a zebra stripe pattern! Fun! Any takers?”

The Lead in “Da Thread” as posted by Johnnantais - 2-01-04

Let the saga continue. Sail on, oh ships of Lenco!
mario_b
I have had the TJN Mod installed in my Lenco for a few days now and I just want to add a few comments to support those of johnwdt (John). First, a little of my personal Lenco history might clarify my reaction to the TJN Mod. I bought my Lenco directly from Jean Nantais (JN) about three years ago. This decision was reached after hearing various versions of JN’s Lenco rebuilds in a few different high quality audio systems, most notably those owned by John. I could not ignore the superiorty of the Lenco, particularly in areas of pace, rhythm and timing (PRaT), over my VPI TNT and this is a decision I have never regretted.
My system now consists of the JN rebuilt Lenco to which is mounted a Graham 2.2 tonearm and an Ortofon Jubilee cartridge, feeding into a K&K Phono Stage. Preamp is the cheap but excellent Transcendent Grounded Grid (somewhat modified) and a Rogue Atlas Magnum amplifier. Speakers are the Quad 57s, with bass and treble panels rebuilt by Wayne Picquet, and a single Velodyne F1500 subwoofer.
Since my move to the Lenco a number of significant modifications have been introduced. Most notable of these was JN’s new bearing, which improved virtually all aspects of the Lenco’s performance. Now we have the TJN Mod which, in my considered opinion, is at least as significant as any modification that JN has introduced. Yes, I think the TJN Mod is at least as significant as the new bearing.
JN has explained his reason for introducing the TJN Mod (‘ that damned Lenco idler-wheel spring’) and John has mentioned how, by clipping and shortening the spring (thereby increasing the tension of the spring and torque of the rotating platter), the Lenco’s performance could be improved. It has been evident to me that this spring was the real weak spot in the Lenco design and it is reasonable to conclude that the Lenco’s performance has been degraded by the spring. By completely removing the spring, the TJN Mod simply and elegantly corrects this weakness.
John has mentioned the impact that the TJN Mod has had on the sound quality of his system and I would concur with everything he mentioned. In my system the mod has improved virtually every aspect of the sound – deeper and wider soundstage, improved clarity right across the frequency spectrum and, last but not least, even better dynamics . The degree of improvement has taken me a little by surprise and I’m still trying to come to grips with it. However, as the saying goes, this is a real ‘no brainer’.
If you are considering purchasing the TJN Mod kit from JN but you are not certain of what you will get for your $60, let me assure you that this kit is seriously underpriced. The metal parts (aluminum and brass) have clearly been carefully designed and they are made by the same excellent machinist that is responsible for producing the new Lenco bearing. You’re getting real value for money here and I have no doubt that if one of the major companies (eg. Linn, VPI etc.) were marketing this mod the price would be two or three times as costly.
Terry
I am about to diy the spring mod. I was going to wait for the all-out "MC" Lenco I have on the drawing board, but after talking to John I decided to try it on my current "MM" Lenco that is on my bench right now. I will be able to compare it to the elastic "spring" I was using.

Pics to follow.

Went to Whalemart :) yesterday to find my fishin' waits and stuff... If everything works out, I will be listenin' later today.

BTW: I have designed a ultra deluxe, shock absorbing version of this mod that we may see later... :0)

Mike
Finally had a chance to listen to the spring mod.

Hey,

First impressions;

Using a 42 gram weight. Greater space between instruments = lower noise floor, VTA adjustments easier to hear. Improved macro dynamics, slightly wider stage, slightly better bass, improved layering.

Mike
I am posting to describe the result of the most recent idler tension spring mod to my Jean Nantais Lenco Goldring L70. I understand that this mod is described in detail on the group, but wish to present a “fresh eyes” assessment from someone not caught up in the usual group exchanges.

I am running the 100 lb “Classic” plinth, built about 2 years ago and later mod’d with a “Reference” level Lenco main bearing and a carefully rebuild motor assembly. About 2 weeks ago, Jean installed his latest innovation; replacing the idler / speed control shaft tension spring, and mounting a custom fabricated sleeve together with a precisely constructed silk thread and bias weight combination. The theory, as I understood it, was to ensure a constant pressure on the tapered speed control shaft / idler wheel and, thus, eliminate speed fluctuations; as Jean stated it "the maximum useful pressure, constant and unvarying at all speeds, to ensure maximum and stable torque". It simply seemed too obvious to be true – I had to try it myself! I had just heard from two trusted vinyl aficionados that the difference is sound from this latest JN Lenco mod was immediately apparent. I asked no further questions as did not wish my assessment to be biased by their experience.

What I found was a radically improved and stable pitch with an overall greater sense of space and dimension in presentation of the sound stage. There was a certain quality of air and openness around the instruments and vocalists, as well as “room clues” that had not previously been noticeable. This was especially startling as I was listening to LPs that have been in my regular rotation for close to 40 years (Joni Mitchell’s Blue and Ladies of the Canyon as prime examples) and found that my sense of the recording studio environment was far enhanced.

I then went on over the next few days to several well know classical pieces and found similar results with Glenn Gould’s – Goldberg / 32 Variations and Starkers Bach Suites / Solo Cello, and on and on. As I played 6-8 albums each day, I came to realize that each listening session presented a new experience from even my most trusted and best known reference recordings. I began to compare these recording on my other tables and found them lacking. What had I done?

My experience in these matters is considerable. I have had an idler wheel table in my system since 1972. Several years ago I purchased a mint Lenco Goldring L70 in a (rather heavy) stock plinth, after hearing a Lenco L75 rebuilt by Jean Nantais. I was shocked at the results with the L75 and wanted to understand what the JN mods could do for my system. I was then running a Garrard 301 and Garrard 401, as well as a Rek-O-Kut Rondine Deluxe and a Thorens TD124. I could hear the potential in each, but none matched what I heard in the early Nantais mods.

Now, with the latest spring replacement mod, even that first impression has again been elapsed by the addition of a simple thread and weight. I know it seems remarkable and, if reading it, I would have to ask “How is this possible?” My only response can be, “You have to hear it” so I invite each of you look at your options for making such a mod or having Jean provide you with the materials to do so.
Eleakist,

Us low-lifes "caught up in the usual group exchanges" hear the same thing as you :) As reported.

Mike