Analog point of entry...

So, my only source to day is digital: Cary 303/300. I'd like to be able to play vinyl for the following reasons (not in any order):

1. I have lots of old albums that haven't been released on CD yet. And I'm sure there are more out there

2. I like the "hand on" idea

3. I believe in the benefits of this medium's unique sound.

My question is, what would be the price of admission - used - (incuding table, arm, cartridge AND phono pre) in order to match the fidelity of my CD Player.

Or, put another way, I don't vinyl playback that sounds junky compared to my digital playback.

thanx!
pawlowski6132
Hey Readster, ;^)

Oh, BTW, you're system is unbelieveable!! Does it sound as good as I think it does??? Is it possible?
For CD's, I'm using a Classe CDT 1 transport and a Classe DAC 1 transport. A number of years ago, my old BIC turntable broke and I did not replace it. After my father passed away four years ago, I was given his old Benjamin Miracord 50H turntable. For anyone not familiar with this turntable, it can hardly be considered an audiophile turntable. I replaced the cartridge with a Grado Gold, placed it on some isolation points and put it to work in my system. I'm also using an Audible Illusions Modulus 3A preamp.
I have the Jazz at the Pawnshop CD and always loved the sound. I recently bought the LP recording and was surprised that the LP totally blew the CD away. Even my non-audiophile brother-in-law who was a sceptic easily heard the difference. LP's may be more work, but for me it's worth it. For sentimental reasons, I have not replaced the turntable yet, but if a turntable of this caliber can outperform my transport dac combo, I would love to hear what audiophile quality turntable sounds like.
For $3k you should be able to get a TT, arm, phono stage, cartridge, record cleaner, and supplies (making the assumption you buy the TT, arm and phono stage used). However, like I said, $3k can turn into $6k pretty fast.
matty....i have worked in the digital medium since the beginning. yes, the engineering and the mastering on the compact disc has improved tremendously. the inherent flaws in the medium and ALL playback devices are still there as they have always been. the compact disc was never about a true hi fidelity 'ideal'....from the beginnig it was always about consumer convenience and a much lower manufacturing price. when it was introduced, most consumers compared its sound to audio cassettes(lp's were only 20% of the marketplace). everyone who loves music should have a nice cd player, as well as a turntable, but no matter what cd player you have, and no matter how much it costs, it isn't that much more sophisticated than a walkman. the medium was never meant to be. the hi end industry just tried to make the best of it, and to this day, still does.