About Lugnut -- Patrick Malone

Many of us have come to know Patrick Malone (Lugnut) as a friendly, helpful, knowledgeable and kind individual. He is a frequent and enthusiastic contributor to our analog discussion forum. He has initiated only 17 threads, but responded to 559 threads. I would guess that many, if not most, of us can recall a time when Pat replied with helpful advice to a question we posted or helped us track down a rare recording. I have come to love Pat as a friend, and to respect him as a man, and I suspect many of you share those feelings.

Today I write to share difficult news with you. Pat has been diagnosed with an aggressive stomach cancer. It has yet to be determined whether surgery will even be worth it. If surgery is performed, most or all of the stomach will be removed, and Pat would face a difficult and long post-op period in the hospital. The medical course is still uncertain, but will be determined soon. Whatever is decided, it will not be easy or pleasant.

Something may be planned in the future to assist the family. For now, Pat could use some of the friendship he so often and willingly showed us. You can email Pat at: [email protected]. You can also mail cards, letters ... or whatever. You may email me for Pat's mailing address. My email is: [email protected].

I hope to spend a few days with Pat in Idaho or Nebraska (from which he hails) soon. Between this news, my legal work, getting ready for family arriving for the holidays, Audio Intelligent, and trying to make plans to visit Pat, my head is spinning. If you email me and I don't respond, please understand that I am not ignoring you, but rather simply do not have time to reply.

Pat may or may not have time to respond to posts here, to emails, or to cards mailed to him. But he has asked me to convey to each and every one of you that he has cherished your friendship, your comradery, and sharing our common hobby on this great website.

As we prepare for our holiday season celebrations, and look forward to -- as we should -- enjoying this time of year, I ask that you keep Pat and his family in mind ... and softly offer up, in quiet moments in the still of night and early morning, prayers for Pat and his family. God bless.

Warmest regards to all,
Paul Frumkin
paul_frumkin
Thanks for the encouraging words everyone, both on this thread and in private emails. I know it's not easy responding to the depressing news I dropped in your laps. So, yesterday I had a follow-up visit with my surgeon thinking that our relationship would be ending. It seems that when she operated the method she used to tell the extent of involvment is by feel. Makes sense to me that small tumors can be felt. Anyway, she said that one area of involvment that was most pronounced was in the common bile duct and that whenever I start to turn yellow or feel pain we'll be getting together in a surgical suite again to put a shunt in place. One encouraging, but scary thing she said was that we will likely remove the feeding tube in my intestine and the drain tube in my stomach. The mods she did to my digestive system make it difficult for any tumor to interfere with the passage of food or liquid. Maybe I won't ever need to be pump fed again. I like that idea a lot but the removal is a permanent option that would be gone forever so I told her that she has to make that decision for me. The woman has huge balls and is a real person. She howled when I told her I was still holding out for a massive coronary in the throws of an orgasm. Anyway, she thinks I've got what it takes to make the statistics look silly after all of this is over. I also told her that since she was so good at modifications that she should get herself a good tube system and start studying electronics. Barb and I then went out for Chinese food, came home and fooled around. Now that made me feel like I'm getting better! I guess what made me weaken more than anything else is knowing that my life partner is having to go through this and it's so unfair to her. She deserves so much more. For thirty one years she has indulged my every dream. Never once has she complained when I wanted more, better, different gear. She helped me buy my Harleys. She encouraged me to buy my drift boat and build a trailer for it the last time I was battling lymphoma. She never complained when I spent way too much money and time building my hot rod Nova. When I suggested we move from the comfort and security of our Midwestern home to the uncertain future of living in Idaho just so I could be closer to trout fishing she didn't even hesitate one second. Whatever makes Pat happy has been her goal in life. I'm telling you guys, this woman deserves so much more than than this baptism by fire we're experiencing and my guilt is overwhelming. Sure, I know it's not my fault but still I'm sure you understand why I feel this way. I'm undeserving of the outpouring of support from everyone and all I can do to make up for it is say thanks. There's no way to pay back anyone. The most profound thing I've discovered during this insanity is that it's way easier to love and be nice than it is to be mean and nasty. I wish I could export some of this knowledge to the Mideast, inner cities and to all of humanity struggling with and concentrating on our differences rather than our shared humanity. If only I could, this world would become such a wonderful place in very short order. Perhaps there is a talented person reading this story as it unfolds that can put this whole thing into words to share with the world so that all the kindness here somehow can be passed on.

Pat
Pat, she (your wife Barb) has as much as pleasure and satisfaction as you, in giving her love. Your happiness is her reward. Good Luck!
Pat, they may have removed part of your stomach, but thank goodness they left your sense of humor intact. A massive coronary in the throes of orgasm, indeed! I myself hope to go by gunshot wound ... from some jealous husband when I'm 93 years old.

You're usually right on, but you've got it wrong when you say that you're undeserving of everyone's support. Do you really think you've got it right and all these folks got it wrong? And you say that "all" you can do is offer your thanks. But that's all that anyone can ask for or need.

Hang in there, my friend.

Best regards,
Paul
Pat,

It's inspiring to read your words, and being so honest is all the talent anyone ever needs to write as powerfully as you do. Your tribute to Barb is just as touching as anything you write, because it's clear that she has treated your relationship as though she would be allowed a mere minute of life to share with you. And she's managed to string together thousands of those minutes to the point of filling your heart with a towering compassion.

Keep it coming, Pat.

Howard
Pat,
All of your friends here at AudiogoN (and there are many) not only are inspired by your words and spirit, but also can take comfort in knowing that you are able to maintain your wit, humor and positive outlook even in the face of darkness. I wish I had even an ounce of the kind of courage you have shown us.

My family and I hold you in our prayers and wish for you as much happiness and gentle care as is possible