About Lugnut -- Patrick Malone

Many of us have come to know Patrick Malone (Lugnut) as a friendly, helpful, knowledgeable and kind individual. He is a frequent and enthusiastic contributor to our analog discussion forum. He has initiated only 17 threads, but responded to 559 threads. I would guess that many, if not most, of us can recall a time when Pat replied with helpful advice to a question we posted or helped us track down a rare recording. I have come to love Pat as a friend, and to respect him as a man, and I suspect many of you share those feelings.

Today I write to share difficult news with you. Pat has been diagnosed with an aggressive stomach cancer. It has yet to be determined whether surgery will even be worth it. If surgery is performed, most or all of the stomach will be removed, and Pat would face a difficult and long post-op period in the hospital. The medical course is still uncertain, but will be determined soon. Whatever is decided, it will not be easy or pleasant.

Something may be planned in the future to assist the family. For now, Pat could use some of the friendship he so often and willingly showed us. You can email Pat at: [email protected]. You can also mail cards, letters ... or whatever. You may email me for Pat's mailing address. My email is: [email protected].

I hope to spend a few days with Pat in Idaho or Nebraska (from which he hails) soon. Between this news, my legal work, getting ready for family arriving for the holidays, Audio Intelligent, and trying to make plans to visit Pat, my head is spinning. If you email me and I don't respond, please understand that I am not ignoring you, but rather simply do not have time to reply.

Pat may or may not have time to respond to posts here, to emails, or to cards mailed to him. But he has asked me to convey to each and every one of you that he has cherished your friendship, your comradery, and sharing our common hobby on this great website.

As we prepare for our holiday season celebrations, and look forward to -- as we should -- enjoying this time of year, I ask that you keep Pat and his family in mind ... and softly offer up, in quiet moments in the still of night and early morning, prayers for Pat and his family. God bless.

Warmest regards to all,
Paul Frumkin
paul_frumkin
I don't know you, but I can tell you are blessed with a wonderful, loving wife, and great friends. You are indeed a lucky man. Best wishes for a happy new year, good luck.
My prayers and thoughts are with you in this trying time. When I went through my bout with Cancer I learned to try and not worry about the future or regret the past but simply to live in the moment. I get up everyday and thank God for one more.
Hi everyone,

I just got back from Idaho a couple hours ago. I was able to spend almost 3 days with Pat and his wife Barbara. I want to tell you, people, that Pat and Barbara are two of the nicest, most down-to-earth, most gracious, most talented, most open and most honest ... yet humble and grateful ... people you'll ever meet. Pat and Barb are wonderful people, the kind you feel honored to call your friend, the kind who quickly take up residence in your heart. Pat and Barb did everything they could to make me feel comfortable as a guest in their home; with everything going on, that speaks volumes to their characters.

It was great to spend some time with Pat spinning vinyl in his listening room ... recently remodeled to beautiful effect by Steve (Vetterone). Steve did all of the work as a surprise for Pat while Pat was on a brief vacation to Nebraska.

As you know, Pat was scheduled for, and had, his surgery Jan 3. The night before, Pat, Barbara, Pat and Barbara's daughter Amanda, Amanda's 18 month old son Scott (the apple of his grandad's eye), Steve and I had dinner together at Pat's house. Marinated flank steak and lobster tails on the barbie; chevre cheese fondue; baked Idahos; French carrots; salad, rolls and desert. It was, as you might expect, a subdued celebration: Pat had been advised that, post-surgery, normal meals would be a thing of the past. More than one somewhat uncomfortable reference was made to the "Last Supper."

I've got this third hand (from Barb to my wife to me), but here's the update as I understand it. The lower 1/3 of Pat's stomach, and some of his intestines, were removed. The cancer has spread, which means that chemotherapy will be necessary. Pat has a feeding tube, and he faces a daunting recovery. It is the measure of the man that not once did he complain of his situation; not once did he protest the surgical insults to come. Pat accepted, with nearly unfathomable equanimity and aplomb, the consequences of his disease and their certain effect on quality of life issues.

The immediate course is for Pat to remain in the hospital for up to a week to regain his strength for discharge. Then there will be chemotherapy. Obviously, the battle is not over: only the opening salvos have been launched. Please keep Pat, Barb, Amanda and Scott in your prayers.

Please feel free to email or call (302. 836-0453) me if you have any questions or ideas you'd like to discuss. For those who would like to send something, you may address it to him (Patrick Malone) c/o St. Lukes Regional Medical Center, 190 East Bannock, Boise, ID 83712-9987.

Thank you, Pat, for letting me get to know you better; for letting me help as best I could; for the honor of calling you my friend; and for the honor of calling me your friend. As we reflect upon the new year and count our blessings, surely we include among them a man we call Mr. Patrick Malone.

God bless,
Paul
Paul,

Thank you for the update. The news, daunting as it is, seems somewhat better than the worst Pat told me he was expecting. It sounds cliche, but if they removed 1/3 of his stomach then he has 2/3 of one left. If the stomach and some length of intestine were the only organs affected then perhaps all our prayers have been answered and a recovery will be possible.

Recovery will depend on Pat as much as anyone or anything of course. Fortunately, in addition to being as kind and generous a man as I have known, Pat is also a stubborn, ornery cuss who takes nothing lying down, so to speak. If anyone can fight his way through surgery, chemo and all the other pains and challenges it's him.

Thank you for taking the time to visit Pat and Barb. I have health challenges to deal with in my home and just couldn't get away. Your generosity of spirit must be a great comfort to them, and is a reflection of the best of our community.

Doug
Hi guys, here is a short note from Pat's wife Barb on how thigs went yesterday. There is nothing I could add to this succinct note. It pretty much says it all for now.
I am sure Pat would appreciate any get well cards and letters from all of his pals in Audiogon land.

"At Pat's request I am writing this email to all of you to let you know the outcome of his surgery. After 6 long hours the surgeon reported that she was unable to remove all the cancer. She did remove 1/3 of his stomach and part of the upper intestine. He will start chemotherapy after he recovers from the surgery but this cancer is not curable.

I love my husband with all of my heart. Please remember us - each in your own way during this time. Barb"

St. Luke's Regional Hospital Room 6028

208-381-2222

Pat Malone

307 W. Sherman Ave.

Nampa, Id. 83686