the best, cost-no-object, music streamer?

I am currently using McIntosh MCD500 as source. I love it so much that my CD collection is piling up. Now i find it more hassle to find CD, play it, and return it to cabinet blah blah blah.

I think one solution to this is to find a (very) good music streamer connected to a HDD or whatever.

Can any of you share what is the best, cost-no-object, music streamer? And why do you like them?

Am no techie, but seems ability to play 24/192, FLAC, apple app compatibility is a must.

Thanks for looking.
adg243
Nd4 - I am planning on designing a version of my USB module using XMOS parts in the near future, that is if I can get some cooperation from them....

Steve N.
Empirical Audio
"Is there something wrong with my setup? should i buy a master clock?

has anybody tried a master clock, how much "less jitter" does the unit do the whole music experience?"

Most DACs can be improved dramatically by adding an external USB converter with a low-jitter clock. This is THE MOST IMPORTANT part of the digital system, not the DAC.

Lower jitter will get you much better imaging, dynamics and bass tightness. Wider and deeper soundstage. The more you spend for the USB converter and associated USB and S/PDIF or I2S cables, the better the result.

Steve N.
Empirical Audio
Steve N.,

When you said USB converter, did you mean USB cable from A type USB (MacMini) to B ?
"From reading the posts it seems music streamer needs to be a dedicated unit like sooloos, aurender, linn etc. I've only seen and hear the sooloos. seems the presentation (demo) wasnt setup well in front of me. or probly the music was using a file that is compressed and lossy."

Not necessarily, I think there are a number of "open" streaming systems that work with multiple brand. For example, tHe Simaudio 180 streamer works with any dac and a PC, Apple or NAS with a UPnP library management system for music storage. I think PS Audio and Linn are also open, or at least partially open streaming systems.
That's great news Steve, thanks.

I'm sure there are a lot of us ripping SACDs that aren't quite ready to get rid of our DACs for DSD processing; a converter seems like an attractive interim option.