Help to store hi-rez on external hard drive.

Hello. I am an old time audiophile and not to digital savy. I was wondering if anyone might share how to store downloaded hi-rez digital on external hard drive and configure it to be the source and deliver its content to the dac?, from there I think I got it. I don't think I want a computer over by my system so I thought just a hard drive would nice and small and neat, but I don't know if it is possible to do that. Thanks for any input. Have a great day.
marqmike
The Squeezebox Touch allows you to attach a USB storage device like a thumb drive or hard drive, without any other interface. The larger the library, the longer it will take to cataglogue via the Touch. I have not tried this with a larger hard drive, but it worked like a charm with a thumb drive with FLAC files on it. I believe that if you do use a hard drive it needs to be formatted in FAT16 FAT32 NTFS or ext2/ext3. If you are not computer savvy that may not be a simple solution, but it does eliminate the need for a computer interface (I actually still prefer to use one because control is more comprehensive via Squeezeserver on a laptop). You'd still need a computer interface to rip the files in the first place, of course.

itunes probably provides the most user-friendly interface for ripping, cataloguing, and playing music, but alas, it does have some drawbacks. The ripping component is not as vigorous as some other software - you mentioned Media Monkey, there's also EAC and Max (if you are using a Mac) that come to mind. Any one of those have a better error-correction built in than the one in iTunes. Also iTunes can not handle FLAC files, which I prefer to use, and also is a bit awkward in handling hi-rez audio files which require adjustment of the MIDI interface as opposed to adapting on the fly to whatever you choose to play (again, non computer-savvy need not apply here). If you do use iTunes I would rip files in AIFF or Apple Lossless (the latter taking up less space). Do not use WAV files or you may regret it down the road.
Thanks for your help. I going out soon with your suggestings and I will get a new notebook with as clean a slate as I can then come home a get media monkey on there. I read in computer audiophile to cut out the mixer or something like that, so I will probably go over to there and put together any suggestions on set up and using media monkey with my notebook. I just thought I would warn you guys just in case this side of the country disapears because of something I connect wrong. Thank you everyone.
Wouldn't the best solution for you be this?

1) Rip your music to your PC using EAC with the FLAC add on
2) Save the files on a RAID 1 configured USB hard drive with 2 ITB modules
3) When done putting your music on the HD, connect it to a Logitech Touch for the interfacr control
4) Run the output of the Touch to your DAC

In this way you aren't using any PC except for the initial rip, the RAID 1 has built-in back up in case one of the drives crashes, and you can move the HD from wherever your PC is to where you listen to music and all you have there is the HD, the Touch, and your DAC.

I dunno' seems way better than messing around with a laptop and a bunch of other crap.
SB Touch runs a stripped down version of the server software. No way can it handle a RAID array.
Big bucks5 thanks that is what I was hoping to do keep it simple over by the sound system and off a computer after downloading. Why? It just sound good and simple. I am not very sharp with computer stuff. Prpixel thanks for the help before I took that step. I went out this afternoon and looked for a computer/laptop to dedicate music to and then I started thinking about and got caught up in all the little things and I didn,t get one yet. Ineed some time to figure it out. Everybody I talk to at the stores has different ideas and really doesn't know much about what I am trying to do. But other than that their nice and try to be helpful. Thanks again. Enjoy your music.