How did U get into this expensive hobby?

So I was up last night listening to my system and thought to myself, when am I going to be 100% satisfy with my set up. Just for once I like to listen without thinking well maybe if I can add this or remove that I can improve on this or that area. A mist all that I thought how did I ever got into this hobby any way? Well, the nightmare began for me when I was working in my college university's periodical section. We had over 3000+ magazines on file. The first stereo magz I ever picked up was the AUDIO annual price list which was about 300 or so pages of all major audio mfg. and models..also known as the audio bible; what ever happened to Audio magazine anyway? I remembered being so intrigued by so many brands that I have never heard of before and how the workmanship and industrial design seemed so much far superior than the average Kenwood and Pioneer back then (no offense to Kenwood and Pioneer owners). This was 10 years ago and I started by scraping every pennies I had to purchase my first NAD integrated amp. Although 10 years have passed, I am still scraping for money to own something new every now and then, but this time instead of pennies, it's dimes a nickels since my tasted have upgrade with my salery. It'd be interesting to hear how some of you fellow audigoners got started in this hobby. Upon adding to this thread, you'll find that you'll get a little grin on your face after spilling your guts out on how you began on this deep pocket journey and how far you have come. Happy Holidays guys and gals.
3chihuahuas
In the late 60s I studied violin and used to listen to the pieces I was to learn - borrow the record from the library, follow the sheet music on this monoral thing of my parents. Anyway I visited a friend with wealthy parents and he had this big Marantz EV system that knocked me out. His mother said "It's so wonderful you are listening to Issac Stern and not that awful rock and roll." Talk about kinetic audio! I saved up my money. Another friend said "my dad is selling a stereo." It was a pair of small ARs, an entry level DUAL TT, and a Fisher 100 integrated amp - dirt cheap. I was in heaven and even took the system to college. Several years later I found out my old bud's generous father supplemented his income as a fence!!!! No wonder he had all that "stuff" in his garage.....
Hi,
As a product of the seventies. (high school), i understood pioneer, yamaha, kenwood brands. I knew of carver, mcintosh, dynaco, but only as a fringe element.
Shure mcintosh was good but who could afford it? if i only knew!When it was my time I bought yamaha and klipsch,I dont regret this as I still, have ,my klipsch though I miss mmy yamaha tuner.Now i rediscover tubes and its off to the races!
Heh! some day long time ago I used a low to mid-end Chekhoslovakian and Russian electronic equipment. I also had a turntable with built-in phono. I spent a significant amount of money in Russia that not anyone can afford for this system setup...
When I came to US, I desided to go for CDs and CD-player that I could affort for my first years. After listening three-four CDs, I stopped buying them at all...
Currently I have nearly $10000 of components of high end and it seems it's never going to stop...
What a great Tread i can remember walking to the audio store to make payments on my ultra high end yamaha audio system. i was sixteen and owned a audio system that cost about three or four grand . i did not even spend money on a car. that is when this sickness started. then when i bought my first car for a $150.00 i put a $2000.00 system in it. but now i have grown up and bought a house and the system only cost about half as much as the house and it is still growing. But i am having fun wright?
Well one day long long ago...well not that long ago. when i was 15 I walked into costco saw some big klh floorstanders for 80 bucks each and right then i knew i had to have them..a few days later hooked up to my 15 wpc aiwa mini system. the disease started. I had never heard such sweet sounding music before...next was my 99 dollar klh sub. Then came my teac recever and cdp for a total of 250 dollar all from costco *the heart of hi fi*..I knew i coul do better so i got some heavy duty monster cable and a pair of 85 dollar Clarity Wires ic's. Next came the 700 dollar JBL's..LOVE THEM..And here i am, The sansui au-517 i was using to power them has scince had some problems so its back to the teac..And now i am 16 and have my eye on A new amp,a nad c370 or jolda 1501?... I have been doing it for 1 year and have gained Sooo much knowledge about this stuff...too bad i dont learn like that in school. I currently have around 1500 in my system it just keeps going up.Who knows where i will be in ten years..? :-D i hope i get a good job! Great thread also.