HDMI cable made a difference in picture quality??

I just bought an a 42 inch LG LCD flat screen TV which is has full HD function. I have a HD cable box and opted to use RCA cables betwwen the box and TV. I am getting missed opinions from the cable provider and the LG dealer about the usefulness of the HDMI cable hookup. Does it actually improve picture quality??? If so,how much? and will it also improve non-HD programming??? I have seen several adds from Monster Cable and Audioquest touting their HDMI cables. Monster has one that is about $70; another is about $100. I have seen even higher price tags from Audioquest. All comments welcomed. Thanks Jim
sunnyjim
Once again, I have seen no noticable difference in HDMI cable output with the different cables I have tried.

It could be those seeing a difference are using some of those "Magic" power cables too, that "open up the soundstage, and reveal the inner detail".

Once again, spend your money on components that make an improvement in sound/picture, not on crazy cables.
I am really fasinated by the responses I have seen here. Some members claim to see sharper or brighter pictures. Can somebody explain to me how is it possible with digital? I mean, how can cables transmitting digital information apply filter to make picture less or more sharp, or darker or brighter?
I am really fasinated by the responses I have seen here. Some members claim to see sharper or brighter pictures. Can somebody explain to me how is it possible with digital? I mean, how can cables transmitting digital information apply filter to make picture less or more sharp, or darker or brighter?
You've got me! And I would ask those who claim to have seen significant differences between good quality, presumably spec-compliant hdmi cables if they went back and forth between the cables being compared multiple times, to verify that their observations were consistent. And if they made the comparisons using identical program material; identical cable channels if the cable box was the source; identical lighting conditions; and identical warmup conditions of the tv set.

Regards,
-- Al
i'm with macdad, almarg et.al.--i can't see a whit of difference between the generic hdmi cables eforcity sells for 22 cents on amazon and the megabuck super-duper, 48 carat gold, handmade by aryan-demigods cables peddled which retailers peddle so mercilessly. either the cable carries the signal or it doesn't--don't believe the hype.