TRL 595 Discussion Died Years Ago

Just wondering what 2008-9 opinions might be about the player.
128x128shake777
Lithojoe,

I see your point.

FWIW, the following is just a generalization of what I have come to see here of late on Audiogon. There seems to be a persona created among certain members that they are "the men" of Audiogon. How the persona was created, either self anointed or member blessed, is irrelevant, but there are those who feel that a thread isn't worth its salt unless they post their thoughts, regardless of whether it is relevant to the topic or not.

Its too bad it has come to this here. I really miss the days of Sean, Romy the Cat, and many others who are gone from here who actually had very meaningful things to say and whose posts were very informative. I spend a lot of my time over at the Asylum and Circle now, as well as peruse Romy's site. Lots more interesting reading.

BTW - I'm calling Brian this weekend to discuss The Dude. I'm hoping to get it soon as I think I'm ready to go back to a tube preamp.
Dgarretson,

I've always enjoyed reading your posts here and elsewhere and can appreciate your opinions on digital mods. IIRC you are fond of the transformer output stage that Kyle at RAM has developed with the Audio Consulting Silver Rock transformers (an enhancement also used by Kevin Carter at K&K Audio with Lundahl transformers for an Original CDP marketed by Moon Audio). In comparison to RAM that specifically lists all the details of their mods, the concept of proprietary mods is certainly hard to grasp, but I can say that I have been rewarded with my leap of faith.

Concerning the link to the article you posted, there are always two sides to a story. However, if you are interested in hearing a TRL modded unit, please feel free to email me offline. I'd be happy to lend you my TRL modified DAC. Feel free to open it up and look inside. Some of the mods are very apparent, while others not so. As we both know its the sound that really counts though.
Clio: Just for the record, TRL has modifed over 1000 units over the past 5 years. Considering the numbers, you'd expect to find dozens for sale, here at the Gon, but you don't.

This said, it appears that the "leap of faith" worked out for many others. too.
Clio, Thanks for your thoughtful remarks and for your offer to audition a TRL unit. Perhaps this can be arranged. In defense of TRL's apparent practices, I have heard recently from several good techs how much can be gained by potting or shielding digital circuitry. This is probably the one area I have not personally explored as an amateur modder. I believe the practice is antithetical to the RAM/Audio Consulting nature-boy philosophy exemplified by unshielded wires, distain for Mu-shielded transformers, and preference for wood enclosures. But I need to experiment with this. If the performance improvements are worthwhile, then this may explain how TRL can mod digital economically.

Agreed, there are two sides to every story, and dissappointed customers are everywhere. But one would be justifiably pissed discovering that a modder who had just covered his PCB with epoxy failed to tie down a solder joint.
Thanks, its obvious that there's controversery around disclosure and I'm not trained to understand the details, even if they were available. Again, I do believe a company has a right to their secrets. If the product outperforms the compettion, that's what impresses me and thats what I care about.

I'm more concerned about where the mod sits in the hierachy of players.

The first mention of SACD I heard was about the early part of March and I was offered the Sony XA5400 for $1$400.00. No way since I had somehow lost my deep affection for serious listening to music years ago.

But the SACD acronym stuck and I started looking into it. Viola! Sony CE595 for $140.00.Found a great review on the stock unit and it was an easy choice. I also preferred the 5 disc carousel.

I ran across the TRL mod reviews. I was mostly dicouraged by my Klipsch Forum but I liked the idea that for a several hundred I could beat out the players costing much more. I went for it after corresponding with Paul. Its a good player and it renewed my love of listening to good music.

But how good? I know I should trust my ears and enjoy, but I also care about more recent reviews from better more experienced ears than mine. If not so be it. Thanks