Solar flares are here, everyone unplug your dryer!

Turns out we have exceptionally high solar activity right now, with a category 4 solar flair expected to impact the planet, potentially affecting satellite communications, electronics and power grids.

Of course, if history is any guide the news is absolutely over excited over this, at best those in the northern states may see pretty lights at night.  I was particularly amused this afternoon at a CNN weather person recommending you unplug your dryer just to be safe.  I mean, is that really the most important appliance in his house?  🤣

Also, kind of off topic, if you have binoculars or a telescope with the right solar filters you can catch a glimpse of the dark spots on the sun associated with this CME.  Amazing to imagine that it is about 15-16x wider than the earth. 

erik_squires

Actually Audiogon posters I have an idea. Maybe we can nicely ask Kenjit to return and set up a thread for these two so they can have a lovefest and not bore the crap out of anyone else.

The 1859 Carrington Event knocked out the world-wide telegraph system. The cause was a particularly intense solar storm. Pray that such an intense storm doesn't happen as today's electrical grid remains vulnerable!

The 1859 Carrington Event knocked out the world-wide telegraph system. The cause was a particularly intense solar storm. Pray that such an intense storm doesn't happen as today's electrical grid remains vulnerable!

Just go to Texas, @jasonbourne71  , Abbott's grid is foolproof.  

@immatthewj @laoman well, I am idealistic and naive.... 😊 to say the least.

Those are admirable traits, @grislybutter  ; I commend you.

Well this thread is going nowhere good.  Can we at least get back to astronomy? 

@erik_squires was right... 😔

@laoman , as the 9th post in this thread, you inquired as to how to 'block' another poster....
@immatthewj , you chime in at #11 with a 'no' ...being brief about it..
@laoman  , at #12, a snide remark that endears you to none.

Now, I'd bet that there IS a means to 'block' a poster y'all find 'obtrusive', likely a complex dance with one's 'puter to delete Anything that goes by your 'name'..

I'm too lazy to bother, but I can just ignore.

If you don't understand me using  *Off The Wall* analogs and the oblique view of this/that/ th' other.....That's fine.  Blow by me....

If @mahgister is a 'different cut' from another sort of 'cloth' and 'runneth off at the keys' ( of which I'm guilty of as well ), so be it.

Welcome to a Public Forum.
No Cover~No Minimum/Maximum

Don't like?

Don't remain.