Marantz AV7705 AV Receiver: HDMI out to external DAC

I’d like to bypass this receiver’s DAC & preamp and send its digital-audio output to an external DAC via HDMI (a T+A R 2500 R integrated amp). Unfortunately, doing so results in no sound.

I was told by Marantz support that this unit can't output analog & digital signals at the same time.  However, none of the AV7705's analog outputs are connected. 

I realize that I could always send analog FL & FR signals to the T+A, but then I’d lose the LFE channel & couldn’t take advantage of the T+A’s high-end DAC & preamp. The T+A hosts other sources (phono, disc player, etc.), so it’s hardwired to my powered sub.

Marantz support doesn’t know the answer to this question (!) and my manual doesn’t document the receiver’s HDMI output in much detail. Does anybody know if the AV7705’s "Monitor 2" and "Zone 2" HDMI outputs actually transmit digital audio that can be decoded by an external DAC?

cundare2

You are definitely doing this the hard way. Per page 41, use the bypass mode with any of the analog inputs.

In the Marantz, tell it to send your LFE signal to the L and R outputs OR use both of the sub's inputs so it can receive the LFE from the Marantz via one channel and the integrated via the other. This would let you hook up the sub to both the integrated and HT receiver.

Even if you could find something that had digital outputs for just 2 channels of the HT I know of no situation where the digital input also bypasses the volume control.

@blisshifi can obviously tell you more, but it’s unlikely the HDMI output from a mass market AVP is compatible with the HDMI input on the 2500 as the Marantz probably only outputs Dolby/DTS signals the 2500 likely won’t process and is why you’re not hearing anything.  That’s my guess anyway.

Bad idea tha marantzwontnoutput  a clean digital signal

If youvare looking to get better music get an integrated amplifier to poweryourmaind c then  mains then by adding a dac