Mcintosh customer support

Requested Firmware update from Mcintosh for my ageing but still good sounding D150 Dac Mcintosh customer support virtually refused to supply Firmware v 1.02 with me . their answer was,,

( Unfortunately, company policy prohibits me from sending out firmware updates. We used to distribute them openly but they ended up on forums and were installed into incorrect units causing a massive influx in service repairs. At that point the company instituted the policy to no longer distribute them.)

it is so sad that Audio Giant like McIntosh do not care about their customers.

128x128sabih

@sabih, Did you ask your McIntosh retailer if they will install the firmware update for you?  

I just read a Mc owner was very pleased with the communications they received when they needed to ask about the balanced inputs on the amp. Seems there’s a disconnect between the software side at Mc and the analog side.

It also sounds as if they did not make their firmware upgrade process more bullet proof and now the end users are suffering for it.

On a bit of a tangent, and I say this as an IT guy, the complexities of software driven appliances is a major reason why I wanted to have a separate DAC and Roon streamer. For any company to put a computer in their devices is a big commitment to maintenance and upgrades, etc. Roon has me covered in that respect.

Things get even worse when I think  about HT receivers and processors.  The difficulty even a major player like Theta Digital had stepping up to HDMI was not lost on me, and it's nearly impossible for me to consider a very good, but boutique audio brand in the HT space.  Exceptions might be JBL re-branded processors.

+1, "It also sounds as if they did not make their firmware upgrade process more bullet proof and now the end users are suffering for it".  

And a very important lesson for McIntosh.

@sabih,

Please see the link below for McIntosh Service Centers.  Maybe they can help install your firmware upgrade.   Your local retailer might be the best.   

McIntosh Support link

After my interactions with their support before they shelved the Wadia brand and an interaction with a rep at my LD.  I'm not sure I would ever purchase one of their products.