Mojo Audio - Mystique Y NC DAC

It's hard to describe the size and scope of the leap this DAC has delivered. I don’t have years of experience with the ability to hear or articulate micro audio details yet so it takes macro for me sometimes.

“Huge improvement” is a good start. I'm just stunned. Had no idea. Thought all DACs were more or less the same until a couple months ago.

Everything is much fuller, bigger, deeper and smoother. I didn’t know this was possible. I was already very happy.

Music I wasn't playing much because the sound was "meh"…that I dismissed as poor recording… is way better and my favorites just kill. From mid-bass to mid-treble is more wholesome...and not just a little. Deep bass is tighter and reaches lower with nothing muddled. Individual instruments and voices have improved clarity and definition. Separation between musicians is noticeable and I now hear black space around and behind them. It's like my speakers are on steroids.

The 3D image has exploded. It got much deeper and a little wider (and taller?). I have heard about and read about systems where the speakers disappear into a holographic soundstage. For the first time, I am in that....like finally walking through an unmarked alley door into the secret club.

It will take me a few weeks to digest this magic black box. I have a couple speaker cable upgrades and some better pre-amp tubes on hand to try out but I have to wait until my brain and ears settle again.

I'd quantize this as a 25% improvement…like a big lunar leap from the top of great speakers.

Eversolo DMP A-8 > Mojo Mystique Y NC DAC (via USB) > Rogue Cronus Magnum III > PureAudioProject Trio15 Classics.

mfisher702

Thanks, @mitch2 .  That's one difference I didn't notice:  "Y" uses 1865, and my EVO uses 1862.

I remember you mentioning your Z chip a while ago an being intrigued.  Going to ping Ben to see if he has any available, or if a choke upgrade might make more sense.

A slightly different presentation in the Y is probably a good strategy for Ben.  Not everyone engages with his natural, textured, organic signature.  The stereophile reviewer was amazed, but the measurements guy was, "meh".  

Not exactly on topic, but is there a marked difference in SQ between the EVO B4B21 and the Mystique X SE?

@ken6217 - I have owned all four (v3, B4B21, PRO, and X SE) and IMO, yes there is. The EVO B4B21 is the second to highest culmination of Mojo Audio DACs starting with the Mystique v3 and ending with the PRO. The X SE IME was more forward and traded off a bit of the organic tone and body of the previous DACs for more resolution and drive. Both are from the same lineage for sure, but two different presentations.

Thanks for your detailed reply. For some reason, I had a feeling that was going to be the presentation of the X SE.

I purchased the X SE in Oct 2022 and had it upgraded in January 2024 with the AD1862N-Z chips and Nano Crystal Chokes. The upgrade brought an already very good sounding Dac to the exceptional level. More body, sound stage depth/expansion, realism, and separation. The difference was immediately noticeable and has gotten better with time. I have about 600 hours on it now and the music is more engaging than with the stock Dac. I only listen to CD from a transport so I can’t comment on the USB input sound. I’ve owned multiple dacs over the years and the NOS dacs sound best to me in my horn system. The Mojo Mystique XSE with the upgrade sits at the top of the heap. 
Glad to see the new Y NC Dac is continuing the trend.