Room Acoustics, minimal treatment and measurements

Afternoon all.  Thought this might be helpful to some with wondering if room treatments can help with your 2-channel, and how to help visualize and measure what you may not fully grasp hearing wise.  I am just using a Mac Laptop and cheapo microphone, and REW, and 6 insulation panels.

This is my Step Fathers system, and pretty much empty LARGE  basement listening space.  There is a LOT of echo-reverb-ringing that (to my ears) over excites mid to upper frequencies, like being in a busy store/restaurant. With music, this can in ways help make a recording sound like it's in a larger studio/hall/space, but it also mashes a lot together and can over-color the music.  This results in lost focus and change in ACTUAL recorded acoustics: so an intimately microphoned musician will sound like an empty room, where an empty room sounds like an empty gymnasium.  This, also over-washes a bit of the mid-range and higher bass-losing it's tone and timbre.    Major thanks to @erik_squires who has been gracious to help with this process with dead-on advice.

FULL BASEMENT MEASUREMENTS:
34'long x 22'wide x 10'high

LISTENING AREA MEASUREMENTS:

15'long x 22'wide x10'high

Empty room, no treatments and RT60 plot.  Listening seat is *in the middle of the whole basement space, under an 18" boxed beam.*

"Treated" room, with RT60 plot.  Notice the overall mid-upper frequency taming from 700ms of "ring/decay", to 500ms.  Even with this, if you snap your fingers, you still hear a flutter echo.  This is from the whole other half of the basement room behind me, mostly.

Crude room response measurement:

Sketch and measurements of where things are in the listening room:

I hope this is helpful and gives you some things to try out that don't cause major disruptions to your system, until you really determine if and where your issues are and then you can buy and mount things.  My next step is to see where ON the walls I can place absorbing panels, and how many might be needed for a nominal improvement.  My thinking is the bigger issues are the ceiling, front wall, and then 'filling' the space behind the seat just to eat up ambient stray ringing.

128x128amtprod

OP:

First, you are going to be very glad of the treatment, but now that I see the measurements and the specs, I think your woofers are not working at all.  You may be missing the straps that connect the woofer to the 7" drivers.

Based on specs, the 7" are crossed at 120 Hz, which is exactly what we are seeing here.  Play loud music and go touch the woofers.

Erik

Yes.  Where’s the bass below 100hz?  Check for room modes down there once bass is restored. 

I love the Jim Smith 83% ratio for the listening triangle. It’s been a metric I’ve used religiously at every set-up

@erik_squires  See, I told ya!   ....you know....I genuinely (and you already know this) thought I was going absolutely crazy, especially the first listen when I got here.  He was beaming so proud and my first thought was ".....uh.......so are the woofers on a different amp?.......are you bi-amping?  Oh that's probably it, and you forgot to flip that amp on!......."   He has the grills on the speakers, so when he's not around I am going to pop it off and check and see.  In general though there is VERY LITTLE air coming from the dual ports on the back.  He is bi-wiring them from the Rega Illicit, and does not have the straps on the dual posts (usually not needed).

@mapman thanks for helping confirm my confusion too.  So the size of the room generates no real prominent nodes.  Honest to god, there is so little to no "bass" being generated that I walked around the entire space along all walls and floor and couldn't find a single spot that 'bloomed' or resonated or any note below 150hz that even sounded a tiny bit more prominent.  It's FREAKY!  Can you imagine sitting there listening to something 70x bigger than your own speakers (I have the Legacy Studio HDs in my little home living room) and you are listening to INFINITELY LESS BASS!!!  I'll post a pic of MY tiny living room's frequency response-just the bookshelf speakers. 

@simao my step father was an electrical engineer (microwave technologies) so he's pretty keen on things involving measurement and formulas, and Jim Smiths book was right up his alley. 

Legacy Studio HD Bookshelf Speakers-Tiny Living Room

OP:

And I told you not to claim you had no bass problems until we got to them... 😂

Once you get your woofers pumping we may have to revisit that issue.