Damping Factor and Overall Negative Feedback.

These specifications are assigned to some amplifiers but what is the difference between them? I had thought they were the same thing. I read the specs on a Karan Acoustics KSA 450 amp today with a high damping factor (?dumping factor?) and no overall negative feedback.
mechans

So where would Hegel fit into this discussion about feedback and damping factor given that Hegel has a patent on their sound engine 2 design, that I gather is a type of feedback design, and their oft touted 4000+ damping factors. 🤷🏻‍♂️

With regards to damping factor, is 4000+ really necessary? I know a lot of amps push that spec as if the greater the number the better the amp. I am not saying that this is Hegel's strategy because the use of negative feedback in general increases the damping factor (and also reduces gain). So that number may just be tied to the amount of feedback used in the circuit. However, if they claim that damping is 4000+, what amount of feedback are they using in the circuit and is that amount really necessary?

For completeness, I want to point out that Nelson Pass has posted some interesting articles on when low damping factor amps (i.e. high output impedance) are actually a good thing. I don’t have the links handy but I’m sure they are easy to Google.

He makes a very good argument for proper speaker/amp matching instead of always chasing for the highest damping factor.

No speaker made needs over 20:1 damping factor. Most of the time the extra damping isn't a problem but some speakers (certain open baffle designs) might need considerably less to sound right.

I heard an example of the extremely low damping factor amps made by Nelson Pass at RMAF 10-15 years ago. The amp is a current source rather than a voltage source so its output impedance is very high- a multiple of that of the speaker itself. But with the right driver in the open baffle design he was showing off, the bass response, especially considering the small size of the flat baffle, was really impressive.

Most amps of 'high' output impedance tend to act more like power sources (mid way between a voltage source and a current source); if you have a tube amp with zero feedback that is how it will try to behave.

Once upon a time all amps were 'power sources'. But to use them properly you have to have controls on the back of the speaker to adjust the speaker to the voltage response of the amp. JBL, Altec, EV, Klipsch, early KLH, with those controls on the back are examples. These days joined by Sound Lab ESLs, Classic Audio Loudspeakers and quite a few others. But in terms of overall speakers made in the world are less than 1% made.