New, Very Interesting CD Transport

On John Darko's website today we learn of the brand new Shanling ET3 CD Transport. And for $729 USD it looks really capable. Top loading with Philips SAA7824 drive. AES/EBU, coaxial, TOSLINK and I2S digital outputs. Plus Wifi and Bluetooth. USB to connect to a external HD and built in upsampling, too. It even will output digital to USB for connection to a DAC but not with upsampling.

Here's the skinny:

https://darko.audio/2023/06/shanlings-et3-cd-transport-comes-with-two-twists/

128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xcreativepart

On the Subject of CD sales as well as Vinyl Sales.

Both are Hard Medium Merchandise, that when purchased the Performers get a substantial remuneration as a comparative remuneration to what a Streaming Service Pays.

Nearly all Performers today, who want to have a career in crating music, are focusing on marketing their recordings on both CD and Vinyl.

For the even more privileged in the Music Industry, these Individuals or Bands, have the clout with Record Companies to not have any of their Recordings made available through a Streaming Service until 100K of of Hard Medium Sales have been realised.

First, I’m not a fan of MQA. I tried it with Tidal and a MQA capable DAC when it first came out. I ended up thinking it was not a good thing. It did sound different, I suppose at one time I thought it was better or maybe just different. But after trying Qobuz and listening to higher res files without MQA I dumped Tidal and sold the MQA capable DAC.

I bring all this up, because the Shanling ET3 is capable of playing MQA CDs-yes, that’s thing evidently.

I’m always up for trying things. I was listening to a new Bob James Trio album (Feel Like Making Live) on Qobuz and liked it. Then I heard it was available on a MQA CD. Humm.

Amazon had it for less than $20 (vinyl was nearly $70!) so I thought I’d try it. It arrived today and included a separate "Immersive audio’ BluRay disk, too) Which I’ll never play.

So, I’m listening to the MQA CD now. It lights up a green MQA logo on the front of the CD transport and the display says it’s 88.2/24 resolution. My Hugo TT2 DAC doesn’t do MQA but doesn’t need to in this case. It see the CD as 88.2 and displays a light yellow color to indicate this.

It sounds quite good. Is that due to the MQA? Or is it just a nice sounding CD? I’ll have to compare it with my Qobuz version of the music soon. But right now, I’m wondering - if CDs had always had a way to output 88.2/24 instead of 44.1/16 would we have moved away from them so quickly in the end??

@pindac and? Another post unrelated to the thread subject. Why don't you explain to us the difference between AM and FM.

Thread Police 😭 upset and whinging these types are. 

CD Sales have already been broached upon in this thread with no Thread Police intervention 👍👍👍.

"Get a Life."