Modding the PS Audio Directstream DAC MK1 and MK2

I would like to continue discussing all the mods we have created for these two DAC's as it seems PS Audio is no longer allowing discussions about them on their forum.

For reference here is a link to the closed discussion.

https://forum.psaudio.com/t/modding-the-directstream-dac-mki/2680

128x128richardselectronics
Post removed 

As promised. We were busy yesterday measuring the Directstream MK2 DAC.

I knew we liked the previous Massive Beta best (in blue below). It measures and sound best to us.

As promised. We were busy yesterday measuring the Directstream MK2 DAC.

I knew we liked the previous Massive Beta best (in blue below). It measures and sound best to us.

Notice the HF roll-off on the stock unit Compared the a unit with the APS transformers installed.

I should have my MKII with APS within a week. It’s been a bumpy ride (I was in the first or second group to order and pay) but Jeff has been great throughout all of it. I’m really curious to hear the MKII sound it’s absolute best, as my TAD speakers + Subs and super tweeters are quite revealing and phase coherent. Even with all the noise drama (currently not using a preamp, so didn’t stay with Massive beta), I’m still a strong believer in what Ted Smith and PS AUdio are doing. I really like we can choose flavors in the different firmwear available, and I’m really thinking that MKII/APS is going to be a great platform for a reasonable cost (especially used/trade in) for those willing to take the trip.

Plus Ted has all sorts of ideas for future releases including one fpga for left and one for right, or putting the sigma delta on its own chip.   

There's no telling what he might unlock in future experiments, and he can compile them much faster in the MkII, to better compare versions.

This might sound crazy but maybe some of APS's customers can thrown in $40 each and buy Ted a pair of APS he can play with on a spare or pre production MkII.  I think it would yield better updates if Ted could also hear what it sounds like on a nicer transformer.  

Quote from emailists :

"This might sound crazy but maybe some of APS's customers can thrown in $40 each and buy Ted a pair of APS he can play with on a spare or pre production MkII.  I think it would yield better updates if Ted could also hear what it sounds like on a nicer transformer."

Unfortunately this will never happen with the MK2 or any other product they sell.  They have to fix issues with the parts they have already released.  Ted would not be alowed to do any programming changes on units with "non-official parts".

FYI... In the several posts above with no photos showing, for some reason you have to "click" on the blank area and the photo will show. 🤔