Bending Sound

Cool Station To Station reference eh?

I'm needing some guidance on crossovers. I'm planning on adding a set of 2.7 Maggies driven by a set of Reference 250s and the sub that Magnepan recommends:the REL T7X. 

I know that the highest and best use of a set of Maggies is as mid/high speakers and leave the bass work to a sub. Therefore, I need an active crossover that can properly allow 45 to 80Hz at the highest on a 12 or 24db slope that won't contaminate the signal.  Do any of you enthusiasts have some experienced guidance on the best crossover for me?  Thanks!

128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xyesiam_a_pirate

Fuss I'm not sure what your question means. So let's go with the more charitable interpretation- you wonder why a crossover. So: Eric Norgarden of Magnepan told me the maggies do best when they are not tasked with making deep bass- that should be best left to a subwoofer.

A guy you probably hate has a video on that same subject which I found logically compelling. 

So if the manufacturer and qualified others say get a sub and crossover I think I need to take them seriously. Having owned 2 pair of Maggies in my life I can tell you they struggle to make bass- at the peril of their mid speed.

Exactly, you don't need that membrane moving in and out while trying to reproduce midrange sounds. Plus you will have amplifier reserve by not powering those signals. When I suggested the DBX unit I was figuring you would use a passive sub that needs all that stuff, plus a strong amp. I would be hesitant sending my main signal into one of those sub crossovers to split the signals into low and high. I think you will lose something more by doing that instead of the A/D & D/A of the Venue.

In the video he uses a Marchand electronic crossover (which I highly recommend) to frequency divide the signal after the preamp and before the amps (80 Hz low pass goes to one amp that powers the passive woofers, 80 Hz high pass to another amp that powers the Maggies). I highly suggest this being someone who has done it for years, but like they guy in the video I use passive woofers. If you haven't bought any of the equipment yet, I would figure out how to best implement the solution, then buy the components. Biamping with passive woofers versus integrating one or more active subs with or without an active crossover in the mix is another.