Thinking of upgrading speakers from ProAc 3.8 I have enjoyed in my system for 23 years.

I am likely to buy slightly used. I have read the newer ProAcs have tighter base and are easier to place in your room due to down facing port. Are the ribbon tweeters that much better? I am concerned about durability of the ribbons, as there have been a few threads by people who have had ribbon failure. I would consider D48R or K6 if I can find a nice used pair. Do the newer ProAcs lose any of the magic of the older models? Another speaker that interests me is the Sonus Faber SarafinoG2. 

System is Accuphase E406, Nottingham Spacedeck, Allnic H5500

jsbail

I have never heard the Pearls, but currently have Proac K8’s which are one of the best sounding speakers I have owned over the past 30 years. They just do everything right and all types of music sound superb. They have the ribbon tweeters which to me are one the best ribbons out there. I am thinking of up-grading to the K10. Sonus Faber was much better years ago. Now it seems like every 6 months they come out with a new speaker- “like flavor of the month”. Go get yourself a set of K6’s!

Hello @jsbail Three is a nice looking pair of K8's on USA.  I would by them if I was speaker shopping!

You won't go wrong with either speakers. From some of the reviews I read the D-48R's are more euphonic whereas the K series is more detailed and neutral. I think it does come down to personal preference. Personally a big fan of the D-48R when I heard it but had to "settle" for the D-30R. due to room size. No regrets however. I think both speakers offer a lot for the money.

-1 on Sonus Faber, company has the worst customer service imaginable and their distributor here in the US is worse... will never get my $ again. Having said that I'm using Audio Note, AN-e these days. May not be as sexy (subjective) but they are spectacular in my all tube setup. Just my opinion 

I encourage you to listen to as many speakers as you can. Technology in materials, electronics and usage of computer aided design continues to evolve and I think results in excellent speakers at many price ranges.

• If you like your current speaker, find out if you want to stay with ProAc - they make excellent speakers.
  • My experience with Sonus faber has been excellent- I haven't spent much time with the Serafino G2 but I find their sound appealing and currently have Olympica Nova Vs which I'm love
  • I'd encourage you to hear Devore speakers if you can

Good luck and enjoy your journey!