High End System Building. How important is the matching, cabling and room? Thoughts ?

The last 20 years as an audiophile and now a dealer has taught me a very important lesson. Everything matters. The equipment can be great but no matter how much you spend the matching is very important. The cabling is also important. Some think cabling is all about making it sound better. I prefer my cabling to not get in the way. It’s like it can’t be a clogged faucet for your sound.  Materials and shielding are very important. In addition to that the room is very important. You may not have a perfect room but you build your system to work in the room you have. I don’t have all the answers but you can’t just spend money and have a great system. Combination of equipment, cabling and room has gotten me there. I’ve tried a lot of gear and cables and this is how I feel. What are your thoughts everyone? 

calvinj

@grannyring this is why we have conversations like this. I know everyone can’t spend the money that I and some others have spent in their systems. But a lot of us have also educated ourselves along the way before we buy the expensive stuff. We enjoy relationships sometimes that allow us to hear before we buy. I have done that. My system is sublime to my ear in a room that is all over the place with flaws. But ny system has a great synergy. My dac, amplifier and cabling are from the same company it was built to work together. The dac is world class. It is musical but has 0 noise floor. It has a spacious soundstage with loads of air and detail and a slight warmth to its sound. It has great transparency and the musicians are layered properly. Music sounds live in a sense. The amp the same way with my dac. My speakers have a great build quality and technology in them that allow them to go get the notes. Some people diss the high end but when it is done right there are some things that some of the good companies do that in a ok room it sounds good but in a perfect room it would be sublime. Can you get a great sound at lower price points. Yes! But when you have the resources and you purchase reliable high end with good technology backing it. It is truly special. There is a lot of work and technology that reputable high end companies implement that is next level. All this can be done even when the room is bad. Now can you fix your room to maximize your sound absolutely. But if you don’t have good components in a great room it ain’t gonna do what some of these systems that are matched properly in the higher end can do. For example when a guy named Dave Baskin was alive he had a home theater cottage built for sound in the back of his property. He had it soundproof and had the high end company come in and place their components perfectly and actually used speaker setup technology. His system also had great synergy. It sounded so good I was in the audio matrix. The dude literally had to put me out I didn’t wanna leave. He had it all. Components, synergy, Great room acoustics and high technology and high end gear put together right. Socks were blown off! That sound is stuck in my head to this day and that was about 11 years ago. I truly learned what the audio matrix and nirvana was that day. He had to put me out like Dino on the Flinstones. Those are the experiences that I have had. Those are the things that I experienced . Some of the guys on this thread think that the buyers in the high end or gullible dimwits . That is a ridiculous assumption. Most of these guys in the high end are very successful in their careers. I am. I don’t sell audio as my main source of income. I run a firm. With that being said painting audio dealers as snake oil salesman and saying that the buyers are idiots for paying the prices is an arrogant I’m smarter than yall assumption that on its face is asinine. Guys that purchase high end equipment are independent business owners or have had great careers at whatever they do. They got there because they probably research the hell out of stuff before they buy it. Like I do. I’m sorry some of the guys that make comments on my thread. You can hear the disdain for the high end in their voices as they type their words. lol. But it is what it is. If you choose not to buy stuff that’s expensive fine. But it’s arrogant within itself to say that some of us that do just don’t know any better!

It would be interesting to have a survey to gather viewpoints on how we prioritize elements of system building.  Since most "mortals" require this OR this decision making, rather than this AND this, it would be nice to gather options on where to place emphasis and/or investment.

There is a wealth of experience here.

Happy New Year.  Hoping your year is starting out on a good note.

@mahgister, I certainly see the wisdom and truth of your statement below…

“But this truth of mine is not a "good news" for most people ... Because most will never enjoy this fact ...Then it is not an appealing truth ...It is better to believe the marketing appeal to upgrade and pay for 200, 000 bucks gear system in a living room because marketing assure us that this is way "better" than a 100,000 bucks one in the same living room ... Suffice to read any audio forum to observe this "faith" reflecting the underestimation of acoustics....😊”

There are many ways to get where you want to be! Find your way but don’t criticize mines. 

@calvinj

Absolutely understand your perspective and personal experience. Well matched gear, including cabling, is another key to sonic bliss. It’s so interesting to me how a well chosen cable, in a position or two, can help snap a system into a subjective rightness. Goodness it all matters!