New, Very Interesting CD Transport

On John Darko's website today we learn of the brand new Shanling ET3 CD Transport. And for $729 USD it looks really capable. Top loading with Philips SAA7824 drive. AES/EBU, coaxial, TOSLINK and I2S digital outputs. Plus Wifi and Bluetooth. USB to connect to a external HD and built in upsampling, too. It even will output digital to USB for connection to a DAC but not with upsampling.

Here's the skinny:

https://darko.audio/2023/06/shanlings-et3-cd-transport-comes-with-two-twists/

128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xcreativepart

From the number of transport threads and the number of transports currently available, it looks like CDs are making a comeback. I know people love streaming because of the limitless choices, but sometimes too much choice has one flipping around rather than listening. Like Netflix. I find myself skipping from movie to movie, but when I put on a cd or a record, I’m much more likely to sit, listen and relax.

am considering the Jay’s CDT2-MK3. "

It is really as good as everyone says. I kind of got carried away. I bought the Cambridge CXC locally for $250 and really liked it. So naturally I had to try the Audiolab 6000CDT. It too sounded really good so when I found a Jay’s CDT2-MK3 for under $2k I jumped for it.

It’s so big, solid and smooth sounding. But, really, CDs are not that big in my life. Sure, the Transports had me dig out my old CD collection. And, I even bought some new and used CDs to add to it.

But thinking realistically I don’t need a transport at that $2000 level. So, I sold it for what I paid for it and ordered the Shanling. I was going to buy another Audiolab but the Shanling was about the same price. Done.

I just found out about the ET-3 and although my Audiolab 6000 sounds really good, especially for the $350 I paid for it, including shipping, I feel a lot more comfortable with a top loader, but in no rush unless I get flush.

For those CD transport without numerical keypad on unit or remote, how do you select tracks? Do you listen to entire CD or play shuffle? My point was if we keep forward to track like track 15 of 20, would the laser/lens and CD mechanism fail over time.