New, Very Interesting CD Transport

On John Darko's website today we learn of the brand new Shanling ET3 CD Transport. And for $729 USD it looks really capable. Top loading with Philips SAA7824 drive. AES/EBU, coaxial, TOSLINK and I2S digital outputs. Plus Wifi and Bluetooth. USB to connect to a external HD and built in upsampling, too. It even will output digital to USB for connection to a DAC but not with upsampling.

Here's the skinny:

https://darko.audio/2023/06/shanlings-et3-cd-transport-comes-with-two-twists/

128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xcreativepart

I bought the ET3 (silver) and it looks and feels very nice. Solid build, great back panel with lots of options. The I2S worked with my Pro-Ject DAC Box RS2, sending complete CD info.

Sadly, though, the ET3 refuses to work properly. The firmware locks up every time I try to use it. It sends info to the DAC and I can see the CD spin, but the firmware will not let me cycle through WiFi, playback and other settings. I am working with the seller and Shanling, but there doesn’t seem to be much that we can do.

Just to renew this thread, has anyone purchased the Shanling ET3 transport and is willing to comment on it's sound?

I have one on order for delivery on Tuesday or Wednesday.

I’ll report back then.

By the way... I’ve owned a Cambridge Audio CXC, an Audiolab 6000CDT and a Jay’s Audio CDT2-MK3 in the past year. So, it will be interesting to see how this sounds.

I loved the CXC but liked the sound of the 6000CDT better. The Jay’s CDT2-MK3 was fantastic, but I ultimately decided that I didn’t need a $2,000 CD Transport. I was going to buy another Audiolab, probably the 7000CDT but, after owning the Jay’s I decided that I liked the top loading of the Shanling better.

@creativepart  I look forward to your thoughts. I also prefer to get a top loader and am considering the Jay's CDT2-MK3. 

From the number of transport threads and the number of transports currently available, it looks like CDs are making a comeback. I know people love streaming because of the limitless choices, but sometimes too much choice has one flipping around rather than listening. Like Netflix. I find myself skipping from movie to movie, but when I put on a cd or a record, I’m much more likely to sit, listen and relax.