Hum in speakers, and suggestions for stopping it

Hi, everyone.

Any success stories in scenarios similar to mine, described below? Grounding boxes? Outlet upgrades? Gadgets like the Morely Hum Exterminator (née Ebtech Hum X)? I’m looking for a non-invasive solution (e.g., not getting a dedicated line into the room).

The situation: I had each of my PS Audio M700 amplifiers plugged in to a Stellar PowerPlant 3. The system sounded great, but I knew I'd likely get better sound with the M700s in the wall outlet. I made the switch and there was a huge improvement -- so I want to keep this configuration.

However, there's now a hum in the speakers. Given that there was no hum with the M700s in the PowerPlant 3, I think it's safe to assume the problem is the wall outlet. I can't hear the hum 99.5 percent of the time when music's playing, but ... well, you know.

"My" electrician came out yesterday and said doing a dedicated line to the outlet would entail demolition and/or other options that aren't feasible right now.

Thanks much!

speakeasy412

Well, you could try something as cheap as “cheater plugs” that may solve the problem right from the get go.  Best of luck.

I would get an inexpensive AC line tester (Home Depot/Lowes) and check that the outlet you are using is wired correctly and also ( just for jollies) check the outlet that the PowerPlant is wired correctly as well.  Fix whichever one is the problem should that come up with the tester.  

Are both amps plugged into the same outlet? If so and if you can get an extension cord and plug one amp into another outlet, preferably one on another circuit. See if that cures anything. The outlet tester and cheater plug are also worth looking into for troubleshooting.

Do you have the amps next to the speakers? I had a Velodyne sub next to one speaker and a hum from that speaker even when the system was off. I moved the sub and problem was gone.

Phil