Ultimate Turntable search...OMA K5 or ?

As the title says, I’m on the hunt for a statement turntable. Don’t really post on the forum so forgive me if this has been discussed already. I’ve been told that whatsbest might be another place to post about this but I’ve been a seller on this site for many years, so I figured it was a good place to start.

I’m a longtime Caliburn owner but it’s time for a change. I would like to ditch the belt drive and vacuum. I know Fremer loves the OMA K3, but the K5 has got my attention. After owning many different speakers, a friend of mine turned me on to OMA. I ended up buying a pair of OMA mini’s about ten years ago and then quickly moved up to the AC-1. I’ve had a wonderful experience dealing with Jonathan and the company and love their aesthetic. With the AC-1s, my main system has reached a level of musicality and presence I never thought possible. I’ve recently come to the conclusion that upgrading my front end is my next big move. So I’ve been doing a ton of research on turntables in this class.

Although I’ve owned OMA speakers for years, I haven’t heard any of their new table designs. Sadly, I have not been to any shows or showrooms since covid. I do plan on visiting OMA sometime in the next few months, but for now, I’m interested if anybody has real life experience with the K3/K5 and if you have listening notes or opinions to share? Also curious to hear thoughts on competive turntables in this class. I have heard many high end tables in person, but definitely not all. Thanks!

mattdrummer

@lewm to be fair, I only referred to the K3. I think the K5 is stunning, a thing of beauty, and is straight out of an Art Deco postcard. 

I once owned a TT that sat upon a 9 Stone in weight Granite Plinth/Monolith.

To me this was pure Beauty, produced from Granite I had sourced and had formed to my design by a professional Stone Mason Service. This all took place when I was at a ideal age and at my ideal fighting weight.

One day my Back was injured with the result being a long time recovery, as a result of the Granite was being handled by myself. On another occasion the Plinth without the TT mounted was temporarily stored in the hallway of the home, to keep space it was at rest on its side wall, it fell over onto my wife's foot, the foot looked awful and needed medical attention.

We both fell out of love with the idea of the Granite, it lost its name as a Plinth and become referred to as the Pile of Dung (being polite I am).

The New Owner informed me a few years ago about their own  'on the foot' experience, and how they felt about the Granite, (we shared similar love for it) on putting the phone down I was in a state of laughter 😂😂🤣. My wife had empathy when she learned of the foot incident.

I do believe that I learnt a lesson very cheaply about Audio Sources having a substantial weight as part of the design. I learnt also the times you want to move such weight is usually when you are alone, the want to system tinker overlooks planning against risks.

To be scared of the consequences of handling a weighty Source that cost uber £0000's, there does seem to be a opportunity awaiting to fall out of the Honey Moon Period very quickly.

There isn't many devices( if any) available for use within the home that will make management of Heavy Devices a less concerning activity.  

Were all getting a little older and any weight can cause considerable discomfort when being managed. The creation of a situation where considerable weight must be managed, will be a high risk activity for ones maintenance of good skeletal and muscular health. I'm so glad I got of the must have Mass used for Audio Equipment obsession.

I have no issue with mass as a support structure for the system in general, I can deal with this as there is always time to man up with extra help and utilise devices to assist when needed.

My Monoblock Power Amp Sub-Plinth is approx' 200Kg of Granite.

No Issue with Art Deco it has its attraction.

“I mean, not completely charmless like the congealed aluminium turd that is the american sound as2000,  but close.”

Everyone has an opinion.   I happen to find the AS2000 quite beautiful.   There is a very refined simplicity and purpose to the design.  It is indeed very heavy.  It is not made of aluminum but rather stainless steel.  Speed stability is superb and is a direct result of the 150 lbs platter and ultra low friction bearing (cushion of air).  There is minimum influence from the motor (same unit as in Air Force Zero), especially when using a thread to drive the platter.  It takes 30 minutes to free spin to rest from 33.333 RPM.  This stability results in a very natural sounding transient.    I agree with Raul that this is critical to a believable presentation at home.  

Fourteen AS2000s were made.   

Never heard of AS2000. How long does it take a string drive to bring a 150 lb platter up to speed? I imagine one could have lunch in the interim.

You help the platter with your hand and it takes about 20 seconds.   You can keep it spinning for the rest of the day or four weeks it doesn’t matter.   There is no bearing wear.