10 gauge power cord. Too much power for tube amp?

Tube amplifiers tend to be sensitive on incoming voltages. Is there a chance a bigger gauge power cord like 10 gauge may not be a good thing?

My amplifier tends to shut down occasionally upon start up. maybe moving to a higher gauge might be better. Does it matter?

emergingsoul

@moonwatcher indeed milliohms (or less) and but we are talking about milliamps or less but they are changing over a time of picoseconds....how does this all add up?

It is beyond my detailed understanding of electricity and if I didn't have a full time day job and several hobbies I might do some experimentation.  I am a physicist with esperience in national labs.  

Instead, I tune my understanding of what is going on to match what I hear.  and while I'd have to admit it is all theory at this point, it supports the facts.

Take care,

Jerry

Yes, it's like using Cardas copper in interconnects (which I've read many science labs do between instruments). It might be overkill, but who is to say that using the best you can doesn't make a difference? Enjoy.  I love the idea of a dedicated 20 to 30 Amp connection from your junction box. I live in a rural area and am lucky to have fairly "clean" power, at least for now. 

I have an Ayre power amp that would go into protection mode at times, I found out it was a certain rectifier tube if used in my DeHavilland preamp.  Changed recifier tube and the problem was solved.

Sounds like some kind of in rush current problem. I don't know anything about your amp but I'd guess it's something in the rectification (wrong tube type?) or voltage regulators. 

You ever measure what's coming out of your wall socket just for curiosity sake? Mine gets as high as 125v certain times of the day..although that still shouldn't be an issue if everything is working correctly. I've seen people post numbers as high as 128v in older homes, which can eventually wreck havoc on older tube gear. Get you one of those Amprx Brown Box or their Linestage models from a place you can return it if it's no help. Works wonders on older tube gear and it seems like it cleans the power signal as well if compared to bypass mode. Cheaper options do exist.  Although I think your issue is a problem in the circuitry if not the Rectifier. I'm no repairman though. Definitely not a power cord issue.