Question: What are some of your best pieces of advise to someone new to the hobby?

I have a friend who is interested in putting together a system and am putting together a little guide for him, compiling information I’ve found over the years, plus some of my own personal tips and tricks. However, I am by no means the end-all-be-all of knowledge and want to incorporate information, tips, and tricks from the community - however basic they may seem - into a nice reference resource.

Without specifically naming any pieces of gear or brands (this isn’t a product recommendation question), what are some of the biggest tips, tricks, important pieces of info to keep in mind, caveats, etc. that you would have for someone new?

*side note - hopefully this post can also serve as a nice reference point for people in the future, as well!

128x128mmcgill829

It's not wrong to spend twice as much for speakers as the rest of your system. Yeah, I know, the rule for many was to spend an equal amount. But not any more. A great DAC, preamp and Class D amp can be had for around $4K (or less) that will blow anything from yesteryear out of the water. Spend that extra money on top quality speakers.

Buy a laser measuring device so that you can measure the exact distance of both speakers from your primary listening position.  Fractions of an inch matter.