Recommend me a DAC under 3k

Hi All,

Long time reader, first time poster!

I’m expanding my all-analog system to add a proper digital front end and would like recommendations for a DAC to connect to my Wiim pro plus.

Listening Habits:

I primarily listen to LPs, but appreciate the convenience and discoverability that digital provides. I don’t have a digital music library and only stream via Tidal and Spotify. My 2-channel system does double duty as a sound system for our TV as well.

Requirements:

• All-in <= $3k
  • Prioritizes sound quality above all else
  • Streaming supports Tidal Connect directly or via some other protocol
  • TosLink Input (for casual TV)

Personal Preferences:

• When tuning components in my system, I’ve preferred ones that are more detailed/transparent rather than overly warm/harmonic. E.g. Telefunken over Amperex or Mullard. Duelund CAST over AN copper.
  • Realistic tone/timbre, soundstage, micro-detail, and impactful bass are important to me.

Currently under consideration:

• Denafrips Pontus II 12th
  • Denafrips Venus II
  • Schiit Yggdrasil
  • ANK DAC 4.1x (with Duelund caps, etc)
  • Gustard R26

The rest of my system is as follows:

• CSS 2TD-x tower speakers (neutral with some mid-bass warmth)
  • ANK EL34 35W Monoblocks
  • ANK L5 Mentor Preamp
  • ANK L3 Phono V2
  • Mofi Ultradeck with Master Tracker cartridge
  • Richard Gray 600RM Pro Power Conditioner
kuhyay

I recommend Metrum's Onyx DAC.  It is a huge upgrade over my Teac DAC.  Much better tone and sibilance control without being soft.  I paid $2,500 for it new from the U.S. dealer, although you could buy it direct instead.

The sound I am getting is rich and full.  And bells and similar sounds are mind blowing, like I am sitting next to the musician.

Post removed 

Ferrum Audio Wandla DAC/Preamplifier ($2800)

Comparable & surpasses DACs that cost more....MUCH, MUCH MORE

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!!

REVIEW: https://www.hifinews.com/content/ferrum-audio-wandla-usb-dacpreamplifier

Update: 

My high end dealer suggests the Qutest has the detail but without the issues from a chip based Delta Sigma.  R2R are known for not a lot of detail, but smoother. 

Tubes are now what yo want for detail, They add the distortions for that smoother midrange. I might like them, but from your description probably not. 

Schiit says the 2/64 is more detailed than the original, but still in the R2R scope.  For a lark, Amazon yourself a DO300 just to see if you want to go that way. You may be surprised, or not. 

Technology and mass production have moved fast so this years CH-FI for $500 may stomp a two year old esoteric DAC.   Your ears of course. Your brain may tell you that no way a cheep box is going to sound good in your very nice system. The brein wins every time over reality.