What Horn loaded speaker/ speaker system for $10k'ish and under

I’m looking to go potentially go back to a horn loaded speaker, or hybrid budget under $15k. I’ve had LaScala’s in the resent past (prior to my current Spendor D9.2’s that are for sale now) and loved them but I feel there is better out there for similar money.

JBL horns like the 4367 or 4349, S3900, S4700? Volti? LALS? others I’ve forgotten or not known.

I’d like to have efficiency above 90db,

extension to 35hz or close to it, I could live with subs though.

I’m not apposed to used in good condition, I will not buy black speakers though.

128x128glennewdick

lgo-jerry

I've had LaScala's in the past in my room so not a concern. I prefer the bass loaded bass of the LaScala over both the Cornwall and forte even though both go considerably lower. but I'd like to try something a little more refined. 

For me, horns are the way to go. I have owned all the Klipsch Heritage models ( not all of the different series ), and I feel the Lascala, which I own, offers the best bang for the buck. Of course, they need some attention with vibration and resonance control ( and the correct crossover specific to the listener ), and if you need the extension of the lowest 1/2 octave, a pair or more of subs can do the trick ( not all subs are fast or agile enough ). For me, the LSs do more right than wrong, work great in my room, allow me to listen near field, and sounds great with a number of many different amplifiers. By themselves, the bass reproduction and " tunefulness ", is awesome, and they are, imo, very coherent. I get quite a lot of musical satisfaction from them. I have heard others, with conventional woofer set ups, such as the 4367, lower priced Volti's, Altec 19, Avantgarde, etc. and often hear a disconnect between the bass, and the horns. Keep in mind, this is based on my listening, my room, and what pleases me. YMMV. It comes down to what characteristics, both good, and maybe not so good, you can live with. Every speaker / room is a compromise in some way. 58 years in this hobby ( I am 69 ) has taught me this. Enjoy ! MrD.

I agree with mrdecibel. One should be aware of the large design differences between horn models and the comprises they entail. Some of those horn loaded woofer designs sound very different from hybrids and have different setup requirements. I have owned the 4367.  It has lower efficiency, requires a very high-watt amplifier and has a better step response. It is not full range, like a D9 but LF extension satisfaction will largely depend on your taste and your room. When given power the woofer is outstanding, though.  

If you liked LaScalas but want something more refined, consider the LS II or the AL5. Much better than vintage LS.

While we're on the subject of LaScalas....I own a pair of them powered by the Raven Blackhawk tube amp. Recently I finally decided to try the Bybee Quantum Clarifiers. They cost $200 for the pair. They conveniently magnetically attach effortlessly to the rear protruding mid horn magnets. (I love non-invasive tweaks that don't cost too much) Fantastic improvements beyond words. But I'll attempt to voice some impressions...clearer for sure, instruments are less hazy, the sound stage isn't as tunneled but pleasantly naturally spaced out. Vinyl playback has gained an air and sharpness which stuns me. LaScalas apparently can benefit immensely from these small square "magic" attachments! Revolutionary. I'm just sorry I'm so late to the Bybee creations!