dac and streamer or seperates

Want to spend about 5k

System right now is a Krell S-300  love it!

B&W 804's  love them too

Well treated medium sized room.

but I'm using the built in streamer and dac.  

I would like to take my streaming to the next level.

At 5k would you go separate DAC and Separate Streamer or all in one?

128x128asmithkash

I would like to take my streaming to the next level.

The issue with streaming is what the quality of the file you are getting. Low rez, hirez, lossy, lossless, compression. I know you can solve this problem by throwing a lot of money at it, I took an alternate route.

I bought a streamer that included room correction ( a Martin Logan Unison in one room and a Paradigm Link in another). This streamer also functions as a preamp so if yopu want your CDP or turntable to benefit from room correction, plug it in. Otherwise the streamer works with an app.

I got a Sony Signature Dac that can remaster files into DSD that works well for me. Sony coinvented the CD, the SACD, DSD and they spent buku bucks developing this tech over 5 years (the "Signature line"). So I went with features instead of just throwing money at it to take my streaming to the next level and it worked great.

I would go separate. Get the Eversolo dmp-a6 streamer and a $4k DAC of your choice

You can't really go wrong either way.....just comes down to which you prefer.  Good options with both types.  

I tend to stick to combo units most of the time as I like the simplicity, but have recently been using a Line Magnetic LM32 Dac and Lumin U2 Mini in my demo setup and really having fun with that combo.  

No long winded answer here. Separates 100%
im not going to recommend anything nor will I push my system on you like most do. I will say I was where you were a year ago and switched to separates. Huge improvement

I would recommend separates but in this price range I would go with one unit.  Check out Lumin as they are a great value and provide versatility as well as the ability to isolate features later on should you want to upgrade.  Initially I used my T3 as a dac and streamer then upgraded my dac and used it to stream. Also Lumin is great choice if you choose to use Roon.