Cable elevators

My Saturday hifi tweaking involved digging out the family’s box of wooden building blocks and using them to elevate my speaker cables off the floor. Previously under an area carpet on a wood floor. Mc 601s to SF Amati with Wireworld speaker cables (to be replaced with Cardas). 

The result—mind you the system is playing really well right now thanks to my new Cardas interconnects—is greater clarity (I think), sound stage, and texture. This is definitely about wringing out the last ounce of the system and maybe I’m imagining the improvement. I don’t think I’d spend any money on buying risers, but what the hell why not use the old building block. Looks dopey and the family laughs at me, but dang does the system sound amazing.

Anyone else play with risers/elevators?

w123ale

I like Audioquests new fog lifters, as they are unobtrusive. I just wish the plastic was clear, not black.

Audioquest claims their testing showed lifters need to be minimum 15cm high to be effective. Note that almost all lifters audiophiles use are well below that.

I use fingertip towel rings. There is no way for the cable to fall off the support because it it threaded through the rings.. The base is weighted so it will not fall over. The weight of the cable makes it self stabilizing as well.

Looking at the images, the Speaker is as noticeably elevated of the floor as is the Cables.

The Speaker elevated will never be met with same contention as the notion to elevated the Cables.

There is a certain elegance and interest formed when seeing the Cables rested upon their various methods used to produce a podium support. 

It sounds like you've engaged in some interesting experimentation with your hifi setup! Elevating speaker cables using wooden building blocks is a creative approach to tweaking your audio system. The changes you've described, such as greater clarity, improved soundstage, and enhanced texture, could indeed be a result of this adjustment.

Using risers or elevators to isolate components or cables from the floor can have subtle effects on sound quality. By minimizing vibrations and potential interference from the floor, you might be able to achieve a more focused and refined sound. However, the impact of such tweaks can vary based on the specific setup, room acoustics, and equipment being used.

It's not uncommon for audiophiles and enthusiasts to experiment with various tweaks and adjustments to optimize their systems. Different isolation methods, cables, speaker positioning, and room treatments can all contribute to the overall sound quality. What's most important is that you're enjoying the process and the improvements you perceive.

If you're curious about other people's experiences with similar tweaks, you might want to explore online audio forums, where enthusiasts often share their experiments and findings. Just keep in mind that audio perception can be subjective, and what works for one person might not necessarily work the same for another.

Ultimately, the goal is to create a listening environment that brings you enjoyment and satisfaction. If using wooden building blocks as risers enhances your listening experience, then there's no harm in incorporating them into your setup. Enjoy your music and the journey of fine-tuning your audio system!