New Preamp from Musetec

Known principally for high quality good value DACs, this maker is introducing a new preamp.

Full technical description is here.

melm

The Preamp is in production and will be ready to ship in about 2 weeks.  The price is $4500 including shipping.  There will be a factory discount for early purchasers.

A detailed owners manual is here.  It did take a short while to download.  In the manual is a description of the metal remote control.

I have been a very satisfied user of this company's DACs through two generations and am the OP of a long thread over at digital.  I can answer questions about the company and the designer and the general quality of his work.  But I am not, myself, in the market for a preamp.  What I can say is that the designer is a music lover who judges each component, small and large, in his designs by listening carefully.  He seems to wind up using European components far more expensive than in competing designs at the price.

@yyzsantabarbara 

Hi there friend.

Given his pricing, and I have to emphasize HIS pricing because we know where he has been in pricing, he must be aiming a good deal higher than the preamps you name.

We'll not know 'till someone takes the plunge.  It would be great if his dealer in Indiana can get a loaner to send out.

The likely difference is that the Mustec maybe a bit warmer or smoother sounding. The 2 preamps I listed should be used if you do not want the sound of a preamp in the chain. That would be for any price of system.

The Musetec preamp does look amazing on the inside. Likely a great preamp.

@yyzsantabarbara 

I don't agree with your assessment if it is meant to say that the Benchmark (which I was familiar with) has no sound.  A straight wire with gain?  No coloration?  I don't think so.  It may be simply a matter of which components let the true music through.

I don't mean to dispute anything here.  Best we wait 'till someone tries the new preamp.