Why are speaker stands so expensive?!

I've been looking to buy a good pair of stands for my bookshelf speakers and for some reason I can't seem to find anything reasonably priced. Why are speakers stands so exorbitantly expensive?

If anyone has recommendations for good stands that won't break the bank, please share!

aamiransari

I never understood why you would put bookshelf speakers on stands. With the cost of a proper stand, why not buy a floor stander, if you have the space? Then worry about what platform to put them on if the manufacturer scrimps there. I've heard of people buying stands and then something else to put them on top of to help with vibration control. Too much tinkering. 

Did You Know?

Physics dictates that the stand supporting any loudspeaker establishes a mechanical relationship combining material science, geometry, and mass to functionality. This marriage impacts the sonic performance of the loudspeaker. The stand and speaker become a single formula to perform as one vibrating entity. The same technical understanding holds for floor-borne speaker systems and plinths or platforms.

The speaker stand is the difference maker. It determines how much or how little one hears and benefits from their loudspeaker. Locke T. Highleyman, ME Live-Vibe Audio

Regardless of speaker mounting methodologies or techniques, such as direct coupling, tensioning, constrained layer damping, absorption, decoupling, or isolation, the stand dominates the sonic result. This relationship also includes any materials used between the speaker and stand or the connection to the flooring. 

We displayed a highly active monitor demonstration at a CES Show in Las Vegas. Our company presented the same monitor loudspeaker with an affordable, expensive, and State-of-the-Art pair of stands. By rotating the monitors, the results were audible as we produced three different sonics using the same loudspeakers. 

Reviewers could not believe the audible changes the speaker stands do make, but that topic appeared too difficult for words. It is easier to get people to read about cable changes.

Audio Reality:

Few written, known, or listening comparisons involve speakers and stand interactions. It is difficult and sometimes embarrassing for an industry heavily relying on limited testing methodologies, non-scientific or partisan graphs, or reviewers’ comparisons and opinions to help determine the best sound. However, when a unique topic presents, everyone hides.

Investing thousands of dollars into monitors and getting a set of cheap stands is not recommended. It is a waste of investment dollars. You will never hear the sonic capability of your system.

In my opinion:

If you want a stand engineered from top to bottom, the materials, testing, and expertise add to the expense. You get what you pay for in Sonic measure.

Disclaimer: 

The company I represent does not manufacture speaker stands for less than a few thousand dollars per pair, so no sales interest or shilling is presented here. There are a couple of ways to hot-rod lesser expensive stands. The key is to maximize the design. That information is available free of charge. 

Robert, Live-Vibe Audio   

I agree with those that say its an accessory where price is whatever the dealer or distributor or direct sale prices can make the " willing " pay out for them. Being a necessity and an accessory for stand mounts, if your not handy to build them , well you do all your hand work reaching in your wallet.

It is what it is. It really isn't anything I would be to upset with as the desicion was made the second you chose stand mount speakers. I give more a sideways look at the ones who say they can't buy/own towers they prefer because of space. Same footprint is needed. Stands are crucial to best end results though. No escaping that...

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

+1

Can’t be beat with a stick

@audiopoint Excellent post.  Ive been involved in pro and consumer for 40+ years.  Stand demos are the most shocking demos in the business.  Cheap stands add a sound to the speaker that cannot be removed.  A good speaker can be ruined by a crap stand.  Even a good looking one.

I really wonder how many people are convinced all these accessories (stands, cabling) are all just evidence of "the man" trying to rip people off.  Funny, if you do an audio demo, it's hard NOT to hear a difference.  In a proper mastering room you will find a very high mass stand and weight tuned springs to completely decouple the speaker from the floor.

Here's an interesting mastering room tour of speakers mounted in glass (high mass), isolated with weight tuned springs.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAO9WjsFcaI  (full disclosure, we are the supplier of ATC to Northward Acoustics and understand why he does what he does) 

Brad

Brad