What is equal to the Rega Apollo for less money?

I am replacing a 20 year old CD player. I have read the major reviews of the Rega Apollo CD player, and several positive reviews from fellow members. I would like to have input as to what current CD player may be equal or almost equal to the sound and performance of the Rega for less money. I like the appearance of the Rega, but not some of its features, but I could live with them. Unfortunately Rega's recent price increase has made it less affordable for me (Though, there have been several good offerings on this website.) I currently have a Creek 5350SE Classic integrated amp; a pair of Silverline Prelude II speakers and Analysis Plus Oval 12 speaker wire. My current CD player is the Sonographe SD-1 and the interconnect cable is the Audio Magic Spellcaster II. All are plugged into an Audio Prism Power Wedge 116 power line conditioner. I do not have a Rega dealer that is close enough for me to audition the player.... Thank you, Jim
sunnyjim
I have a Cambridge 740c and have had no problems, great machine. Problems with the 640c are well known, the ribbon cable would become dislodged leaving the left channel dead, subsequent models are supposed to be free of this problem. I had a Rega Apollo for a couple of months and sold it, it was not my cup of tea or maybe it was my system. Problems with the Rega player are also well documented, there are many that have had problems with the software causing the machine to do some crazy things, there is one report of a Saturn that played the music of a CD after it had been removed from the player and a different CD loaded up, it did not play the music from the loaded CD. I also did not care for the plastic face plate and the less than responsive control buttons. Also keep in mind that the warranty is not transferable with the Rega's.

An outboard Dac with a less expensive transport (DVD Player) would give you a lot of flexability, a Monarchy Dip can always be thrown into the mix if jitter is an issue.
The slightly upline 840c has a PAIR of digital input channels of optic/coax each!
Can you spell E X P E R I M E N T ??
The 740c is also equipped with 2 inputs for digital sources. I hooked up a cheap DVD player to one of the inputs of my 740c, the result was definately an improvement over the DVD players output.

Phill