Technics SU-R1000 - Good but not the king of switching amps

Was looking at the measurements for the Technics SU-R1000 Integrated published by Stereophile. I never bother with the reviews of the sound quality as there’s 1 reviewer there whose ears I trust and it’s not this reviewer.

To be clear, this IS a digital amplifier, and is not a Class D amplifier. Atmasphere will always disagree with me, but given Technics nomenclature and the use of an A/D converter, and PWM output I think if any amplifier qualifies as digital this one does.

What I find kind of interesting here is that the measurements are OK but not absolute Class D killing results. I am particularly unimpressed by the performance of the impedance compensation circuit, LAPC, which at the end of the day does not seem to have performed significantly better than actual, non GaNFET amplifiers, particularly in removing the effects of the output filters Class D amps require. I really hoped to see a huge win here... but it’s not. It’s just making the PWM perform almost as good as a true Class D amplifier.

I have not heard this integrated, but the claims and expectations laid out for the technology seem to not be proven in the measurements. This is a very expensive integrated that does everything differently, and measures about the same as previous generation, also excellent sounding, Class D engines I’ve seen measured.

My stance that Class D was already very good and that new, faster switching amps would have to be truly spectacularly better to unseat them remains, in my mind, uncontested.

Can’t wait to see everyone trashing Class D on the measurements suddenly decide that this amp should be heard and not measured.

erik_squires

Just wanted to dust this off.  I've heard it and had it in my system.  It's a superb, full stop, whatever name is on the badge.  Ironically, I also know someone who ditched his Luxman amp and Backert Labs Preamp for this and he doesn't seem the least bit sad about the change.

Thank you for bringing your Swiffer 😄 
I have the "lessor" SU-G700M2 which the Absolute Sound called "a taste of the ultra high end for a tenth of the price." I wish I could afford the SU-R1000 but a "taste" I can live with. 

All the best,
Nonoise

@nonoise I have both the R1000 and the G700m2 right now.  The G700m2 running in pre out to R1000 main in gets me an identical sound as the R1000 all by itself driving Avalon Eidolon Diamond and Avalon Opus.  With the G700m2 doing all 3 duties its just a bit less musical and less authoritative in dynamics.  Not shabby at all.

@johnsonwu Thanks for that. I've read the same thing in reviews as well. Still would love to have the SU-R1000. 😄

All the best,
Nonoise

The combination of the MkII integrated and the CD player should be very close to world class at a "reasonable" price

you tube video Technics SL-G700MK2: other reviews in the comments area

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkD2fgsYlR0