PS Audio S300 amplifier- tube preamplifier recommendation

So I've decided to explore Class D and based on some positive write-ups of the PS Audio S300, I've acquired a trial version. I'm currently using it with a Quad 99 pre preamp and it's currently working pretty well but I want to explore.

I'm hoping to hear experiences from users of this amplifier and a matching preamp. I'm not interested in the dac/pre from PS Audio or the Schiit Freya. Nothing against the Freya  (and Saga), I've just had some experience with this pre and know it's not for me. My preferences are tube but a strong match with a class A pre would also be ok. Only real requirement is a remote control and one that is well implemented. Budget is up to $2k. My source is an Rega CD Apollo-R and Blusound Node streamer with various DACs.

Any input is appreciated.

lmartinez_02170

The other thing you might consider is , if you go for the Rogue, is getting the serial number from seller and asking rogue if the number has the upgraded front PCB. Early models like mine had the volume control issues and they upgraded the board in later builds.

Also the RP-1 does not have balanced out. The RH-5 does but does not have a phono stage like the RP. RHs are harder to find and more expensive. Sounds like all you need is line in from your DAC so the RH-5 would be an option.

Would be most helpful if you’d share what improvements and sound characteristics you’re looking for. 

@soix. Right now I'm trying to get a baseline for listening and maybe potentially adopting a class D amp in one of my 2 systems. So right now I'm listening to the S300 see if their are any major omissions. With the Quad 99 pre and Dynaudio Emit 30 speakers, the PS audio s300 seems to have 2 omissions for me.

One is that layered instruments and vocals are not always fully audible and flushed out. For example, on artists/music that I know well such as Alison Krauss, you'll completely lose something like a brush drum stick or vocal backgrounds. When I say completely, this is mostly barely audible especially when you know the instrument/vocal is there.

The second issue and it could just be me getting used to Class D is that a lot of familiar songs are less interesting or somewhat dull to what I know they can be. When I'm listening to a song that has no instrument or vocals emission, I do note that it sounds good but also somewhat dull.

Nonetheless, I'm enjoying my time with the s300. Before trying a Rogue preamp, I'm going to try an experiment this weekend with the LTA MZ2 which can function as a preamp.

@jbuhl thanks for the additional notes on the, RP-1 and RH-5. Just yesterday a RH-5 came up on the TMR.

That’s very helpful info.  I was going to suggest the MZ2 but you beat me to it.  I actually bought the MZ2 myself to function as both a preamp and headphone amp, but unfortunately I’ve been away so it’s still in the box.  Best of luck and would love to hear your impressions of the MZ2. 

I used to have an MZ2 then moved on to a Rogue RP1.I like both.I wanted a touch warmer sound and the Rogue has that without sacrificing detail even with the stock JJ tubes.I settled on RCA cleartops though for a bit more roundness. They're both fine pres.