Any insight with the Berkeley Alpha DAC ..??

Reference Recordings, which had had some spectacular CDs on the market is launching a "HRx" DVD-A product which is 24bit and sampled at 176.4 or 88.2 kHZ ...They recommend using a Windows XP desktop fitted with a Lynx AES 16 card and a Media Monkey as it's player and play this 2 channel DVD-R disk through a BERKELEY Audio Design Alpha DAC.

This has been favorably mentioned as a breakthrough in the Absolute Sound April/May edition....has anybody had any experience with this???

I would appreciate your response. Thanks
128x128jafo100
I'm running a Wadia 270SE transport into my AlphaDac and then into an integrated tube amp driving my Trios.
It's the best my system has ever sounded.
I got mine a couple of weeks ago, but due to a hectic schedule have not yet been able to spend enough time with it to make any definite determination about whether I like it best with or without a preamp in the chain. It sounds really great both ways. I am using it with a Dell Inspiron 530 and a Lynx AES 16 sound card. I am slowly but surely ripping all my CDs to the hard drive--about 500 so far. What I can say is that this is the best, most liquid and organic sounding digital I have heard in my system by far. This much is apparent pretty much immediately. It is truly breathtaking, even on good old redbook CDs. I was listening to the Stones' Sticky Fingers last night, and just got goosebumps listening to "Moonlight Mile"--the Berkeley just uncovers nuances in the music I have not experienced, at least not with digital.

In short, I could not be happier with the Berkeley Alpha DAC, and look forward to experimenting with it over the next few weeks and months until I figure out what sounds best to me.

I hope others will keep posting their impressions.

I'm not technically knowledgeable about computer audio, so I'd like some help understanding why Reference Recordings recommends the use of a sound card in the playback equipment (BTW, I own a number of RR CDs and am glad it is back in business).

From what I know, the original sound cards were an all-in-one device that first converted the digital data from the hard drive to SPDIF and then converted the SPDIF to analog. It may have even amplified the signal after the final conversion. The sound card also took the SPDIF feed from the CD-ROM and converted it to analog. The net result was that speakers were the only sound equipment external to the computer needed for playback.

Audiophiles rejected these sound cards in favor of external conversion devices because (1) the noisy electronic environment inside the computer created distortion, (2) sound cards were cheap devices made to a price point to sell as part of the computer package and (3) sound cards limited the type of sound produced and external DACs did not. As I understand it, quality computer audio systems bypass the sound card for conversion to SPDIF (and therefore for conversion to analog too) by taking the digital feed from the hard drive outside the computer. If this is so, why is it necessary to use a “high quality” sound card or any sound card at all? Does the sound card perform some other functions that require very high quality parts or sophisticated design? Or does the Berkeley Design Alpha DAC perform only the conversion to analog, leaving the conversion to SPDIF to the Lynx AES? If so, why not substitute a good quality USB DAC for the Berkeley?
I think you need the sound card in order to pass the 24/192 in all its glory.
Dougmc wrote:
"As I understand it, quality computer audio systems bypass the sound card for conversion to SPDIF (and therefore for conversion to analog too) by taking the digital feed from the hard drive outside the computer. If this is so, why is it necessary to use a “high quality” sound card or any sound card at all?"

There are two ways to get audio data out of a computer:
1) using the audio software stack
2) using network - ether net/WiFi

#1 can output data three ways:

1) USB to S/PDIF converter
2) PCI bus using sound card or on-board logic with S/PDIF output
3) Firewire to S/PDIF converter

There is no direct S/PDIF from a computer. It must implement one of these three in order to get S/PDIF digital output. If it appears that these are "bypassed", it is because #2 is implemented on the motherboard. It is still there, not bypassed.

"Does the sound card perform some other functions that require very high quality parts or sophisticated design?"

Each of #1-#3 require high quality parts and low-jitter clocks to achieve good results.

Steve N.
Empirical Audio